Fare Thee Well, Spirit

Spirit rover not answering yearlong wakeup call

Desperate NASA tries new tricks to get robot, stuck on Mars, back in action

This has got to be one of NASA’s most successful mission thus far.

All good things come to an end. With an expected mission time of 90 days (I think) it has been a resounding success. With all these negative statements about America’s place in the world, this is an great example of what true talent we have.

It’s sad that NASA’s budget is always under attack. We need something, besides FIRST :slight_smile: , to inspire the next generation.

Your title made me think of this old folk ballad, Fare Thee Well, also know as 10,000 Miles. A version that came to mind was Mary Chapin Carpenter’s in the movie, Fly Away Home. The movie is a story of beauty and the magic of seasons, cycles, and rhythms. It is also a story about the intuitive and innovation minds of humans in our search for knowledge and understanding when exploring the wonders of our universe.

Fare thee well
My own true love
Farewell for a while
I’m going away
But I’ll return
If I go 10,000 miles

10,000 miles
My own true love
10,000 miles or more
And the rocks may melt
And the seas may burn
If I no more return

And you see
Yon lonesome dove
Sitting on an ivy tree
She’s weeping for
Her own true love
As I will weep for mine

Oh come back
My own true love
Stay a while with me
For if I had a friend
All on this earth
Then you’ll be a friend to me, my dear

Jane

Good thing they didn’t buy the extended warranty. :rolleyes:

Science comes in many flavors. When Spirit’s wheel got stuck and started dragging through the soil, who would have dreamed that making a furrow would uncover some new soil that they’d never seen before.

Oh, the work Spirit has done…

I expect that in my lifetime someone will go there and give Spirit a pat on the back for a job well done.

Since it’s totally relevant, if a little sad, XKCD’s comic about Spirit:

why does that make me sad?!?
sigh

It makes you sad because of one man…

Walt Disney