Favorite CAD programs?

What are y’alls favorite CAD programs, either singular favorites or rankings? I’ve got some pretty good experience in 3, and they (in order of my preference) are:

1. Onshape
  2. Fusion 360
  3. Inventor

What are your favorites?

4 Likes
  1. Onshape
  2. Onshape
  3. Onshape
7 Likes

Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape, Onshape. ONSHAPE!

5 Likes

Solidworks…

20 Likes

Solidworks
Onshape

4 Likes

Discourse has awesome polls…

Favorite CAD Program
  • Onshape
  • Solidworks
  • Inventor
  • Fusion 360
  • Creo
  • Catia
  • NX
  • AutoCAD

0 voters

Poll allows you to pick your top 2.

Yes, I know a team who designs robots in AutoCAD (or at least they did 10 years ago or so (am I old?))

3 Likes

Arguably, this is more likely to measure used software than actual software.

Case in point: we use Inventor and I’m comfortable with it; my experience of Onshape is opening up public CAD models but since I have no real experience it’s confusing. Hence, Inventor is an easy win (for my perspective).

It’s also probably (?) rare to use different softwares a lot. Not sure how this would be solved, though.

1 Like

Not sure what you are trying to get at. Favorite often means the one most familiar to the user. Favorite is also an opinion, meaning it is, by definition, subjective.

NX needs love. The learning curve is steep but it’s so insanely powerful. I only wish I had a way to use it for personal projects.

5 Likes

what makes it different from SolidWorks or any other CAD program?

2 Likes

Onshape
Solidworks
Inventor

2 Likes

For personal projects, as well as introducing people to CAD for the first time, I’m a big fan of Solvespace.

• free/libre open-source software
  • available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux
  • very easy to download and install. It’s one ~10-megabyte file, no accounts or license keys needed.
  • Has only about 10% of the functionality of a more complex program like Inventor, but it’s the functionality that I need to do 90% of the time (especially for my own projects: woodworking, 3D printing, project planning…). The documentation fits on a single, searchable or readable web page. I can teach 100% of the program in a day. Other people have done it with tutorials that fit in a single reasonably-long web page.
  • Uses the same sketch-extrude-assemble workflow as more complex CAD programs.
2 Likes

Of the programs I’ve used:

1. Inventor
  2. Inventor, but in bold
  3. OnShape
  4. Solidworks
  5. Fusion 360
  6. Pause for dramatic effect
  7. Nope, still not ready yet
  8. CREO belongs down here
8 Likes

OpenSCAD

3 Likes

Im seeing a distinct lack of discussion on what is the Best CAD program on the market right now

8 Likes

Doesn’t get better than that.

mspaint

7 Likes

Sketchpad – written nearly 60 years ago, formed the basis/inspiration for basically all GUIs and OO programming.

4 Likes

You can pry my 2009 install of Lego Digital Designer from my cold, dead, laptop harddrive.

17 Likes

I’m not seeing Minecraft anywhere.
Otherwise, Solidworks is my favorite. Yes, I’m biased.
I do wanna try a couple higher end programs as well just to learn them.
I hate Onshape, but I think mostly cause of the mating system.

1 Like