Favorite clever "match start" phrases?

What’s everyone’s favorite match starting phrase from each season?

“3, 2, 1, Crescendo” just doesn’t sound… right. Don’t know if its just me. If anything it should be “1, 2, 3, Crescendo!”

I may be biased because it was my freshman year, but I think 2017’s “3, 2, 1, take flight!” was the best from our announcers.

1 Like

Rush!

5 Likes

Almost lost @Stanford_Orfila to “Three, two, one, buy our merch!” once.

4 Likes

As long as it wasn’t “Three, two, one, one!” we’re good, right?

(Now starting the clock on how fast that video gets posted.)

4 Likes

This video was posted exactly 1 hour 21 minutes ago in a slack channel having this exact conversation in parallel with none of the same party.

The world is wild like that.

3 Likes

Almost? I straight up couldn’t announce for ~20 seconds cause I was so caught off guard.

My favorite is “Go.”

17 Likes

Ready?
3…
2…
1…
2…
3!!!

But seriously, shouting 3-2-1-LEGO! in FLL is always fun.

4 Likes

3 - 2 - 1 - CresCend GO-OOO!

3 Likes

I thought it would have been fun for the MC to swap in some other musical terms that ended in O.
Accelerando
Pizzicato
Pianissimo (that would work for a “silent game”)
Allegro
Ritardando (for when the robots have been slamming into each other too fast)
Presto

2 Likes

I will say, from an official MC standpoint, things like this are pretty much required. We can’t get too funky with match start phrases for the sake of our field crew!

I think the place we can have more fun is the “hey, we’re ready for this match to begin” phrase! The old go-to is “drivers, between the lines”, but you can definitely tweak this to be more season-specific.

3 Likes

Of the official ones I would Say “Power Up” was my favorite.

Especially when we got to the point where at 1 the Scorekeeper would start the field so while positions were being assigned you got the MC saying power up, the startup sound and the field assigning simultaneously.

As an overall spectacle it worked super well.

10 Likes

Haha, I saw that one in the team numbers thread lol

We have FRC students that went through FLL and some of them still jokingly say this… FRC Lego Theme when???

I wish they changed the match sounds a bit more this year like they did for Power Up, it would have made the theme feel stronger. The theme for that year was great despite the “eh” design itself.

1 Like

The one they changed (added) for endgame, was sometimes nearly impossible to hear. That guitar riff just blended into background noise. The steam whistle was much clearer.

5 Likes

My drive team did not like the guitar riff change, some of the music did make it very hard to hear. Our driver has tinnitus and wears loop earplugs on the field, she asked me to give her a tap whenever it was time to head back to our side to climb because she missed the sound queue during a match once and it messed us up.

Assuming the controller supports it, has she looked into using vibrate? I planned on using that feature as part of the driver feedback for infinite recharge’s threshold limit for control panel — never hit carpet though

We are actually adding that to a custom controller we made and won an award for this year. :slight_smile: On the same page!

1 Like

As a driver, I can confirm that it is impossible to hear the guitar riff and the steam whistle is so much better drive team wise

1 Like