Favorite FTC Game of all time?

I would like to see a little love for the little* bots! Sure they might not be as fast or visually exciting as FRC robots, but these 18 inch cubes can pack some serious engineering into them. Their games are equally exciting, even rivaling some FRC challenges in terms of good game design. What is your favorite FTC game?

• 2018-2019: Rover Ruckus
  • 2017-2018: Relic Recovery
  • 2016-2017: Velocity Vortex
  • 2015-2016: RES-Q
  • 2014-2015: Cascade Effect
  • 2013-2014: Block Party!
  • 2012-2013: Ring It Up!
  • 2011-2012: Bowled Over!
  • 2010-2011: Get Over It!
  • 2009-2010: Hot Shot!
  • 2008-2009: Face Off
  • 2007-2008: Quad Quandary
  • 2006-2007: Hangin’-A-Round
  • 2005-2006: Half-Pipe Hustle

0 voters

*FTC robots may spontaneously expand to crazy sizes, making you think, “How the hell did they package that in 18 inches?”

1 Like

2011 Logomotion ;D

4 Likes

Bowled Over gets my vote. The game was… interesting. The championship boiled down to waiting around for the entire match until the last 30 seconds when you extend a massive scissor lift over 12 feet in the air.

From a game design viewpoint, it was kind of broken, really broken, terribly broken.
You got 10 points for every 6 inches you lift the crates, above 10.5 inches. Of course, this had no cap… you can see where things went haywire. Here is a beautiful match of the world championship, starting where things get spicy (2:20) https://youtu.be/imuLGW4Wf9s?t=140

8 Likes

I love how the next game, Ring It Up!, had an endgame where you can lift your partner. I wonder if the 24" cap was added before or after watching Bowled Over…

1 Like

These types of polls are naturally biased towards more recent games, just because most of the people taking the poll haven’t actually participated in the earlier seasons.

My favorite FTC game of all time was Get Over It. It incorporated many of the elements that are crowd favorites (balance bridges, non-ball/block game pieces, “mountains” to climb over, magnetic sensing challenge, mobile rolling goals) and featured a low barrier of entry but an incredibly high ceiling.

1 Like

The best one, in my eyes, remains the first one. Half-Pipe Hustle was one of those games that only a robot of that size can do. You had specialization with the loading racks (especially the steals you saw at Championship finals), you had terrain that would put the craters to shame that sent any dropped balls swirling all over, you had a little chess match going with controlling the goals, and all these things that you can totally get away with when you’re only making a handful of fields rather than the tons of them that AndyMark now has to make due to the program growing over time.

1 Like

They certainly are. Not many others around these parts anymore who were involved back when it was Vex based. First time with Tech for me was Quad Quandary.

I think the best designed FTC game has been Block Party. The game was very creative, well balanced, and had multiple interesting elements to watch (the balancing pendulum, the flag raising, and more interesting than Rover Ruckus hanging).

Rover Ruckus feels very imbalanced to me, and feels like it was designed for a mineral cap of 4, not 2. I am told though this is not the case, and the design has always had 2 minerals at a time.

1 Like

My favorite FTC game was an FVC game.

1 Like

I personally think Block Party is the best FIRST game in general. Every aspect of scoring is balanced. There was only one Flag and hanging spot, so a good solo team could do both and not lose out points (unlike Rover Ruckus where you lose if your partner can’t hang). One team could score blocks, but two teams could outscore if they keep their pendulum balanced.

Block Party is a game where a single robot can carry matches at lower levels, but an alliance is required to reach the maximum scoring potential. The only other FIRST game to come close to that game philosophy (IMO) is Ultimate Ascent.