Favorite Match of the 2022 Season Thread

Now that we are in the off season, I need some fun matches to watch. Please link your favorite matches from this year and let us now why it’s your favorite :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure there are tons of awesome shooting matches this year, so here is one of an absolute last second climb at IRI (this is my team, 2539):

4 Likes

Due to those absurd timeout rules and such, 2 robots weren’t allowed on the field for this match. That didn’t stop 1771 from 1v3-ing. Absolutely awesome to see.

9 Likes

superb job that was so cool, love the reaction from the drive teams

Wow it was like they were dancing around the field, beautiful performance would have loved for them to scoop up all the cargo at the end. Awful to have to see a 1v3 however, hopefully the new bracket helps with that.

1 Like

I’m going to put Einstein 2 here… 254 was 34/35 (I believe tied for most) in cargo with 8 opposing shot into hangar zone, and almost pulled off the triple climb…

4 Likes

I love how they knew 6328 was going to stash those to cargo up against the hub during auto.

2 Likes

Final 4 err 3 of FiMstien. The gutsy move by 5090’s driver to get in a stand off in front of 3538’s hanger delaying them and keeping them from getting a transversal but getting back and hanging in their hanger

3 Likes

My favorite one that we played in. FM1 @North Shore. You know why :slight_smile:

My favorite that I saw was Texas District Champs FM2

1 Like

Bayou Regional Finals Match 2

Decided by a single point every action every robot did mattered that match. Blue knocks a Red cargo out during auto, Red has their 3rd robot playing ball denial, Blue accidentally scores a Red Cargo, Red going to climb earlier than Blue, every decision by both teams led to a tight match that any single action going the other way would have changed the result.

7 Likes

Bayou as a whole had to be a top 3 regional this year. Interesting in so many ways.

2 Likes

one of the best learning lessons, anytime the students start blaming someone or something… you can always pick out a ton of ifs and buts and that’s what makes matches so exciting

Carver Finals match 2. The two best robots in the world head to head and the last 30 seconds where 1690 and 1323 were the only ones out there scoring. Also it was a high stakes 1 point match. I was giggling like Ron Swanson seeing Lil Sebastian when watching it in person

10 Likes

118s cargo also bouncing of of the balls in the hub and popping out too

Just to toot my own team’s horn a little bit, here is the last qualifying match (64 of 64) from FNC DCMP this season. The red alliance was the underdog in this match, but fought it tooth and nail the whole way and pulled off a four point victory in the end. Since it also secured my team’s #2 ranking for elims, we naturally love it a whole lot! But it’s an awesomely close match, the way we love to see, especially at a DCMP.

1 Like

Can’t forget Central Illinois Regional Qual 18!

First Triple Traversal of 2023!

7 Likes

classic

2 Likes

This is an absolutely biased opinion, but Hopper Division Q23 has a special place in my heart this season. It was just one of those matches, at least from my perspective in the stands, where almost everything went right, and it was just an absolute joy to watch, especially after coming up a little bit short of where we wanted at our second regional. We set the world high score for quals (minus penalties), which would be tied in our division the next day in Q111.

4 Likes

Disregard 3512 going absolute BeyBlade mode during autonomous

Found out eventually one of drive encoders was intermittently going in and out.

2 Likes

This match felt like the perfect execution of assigning “scoring zones”.

• 180 plays front court
  • 3538 plays right lane
  • 624 plays left lane.

What made this match special was how all three of us were efficient enough scorers that we could stick to our own zones and put balls back up basically right when they fell. I don’t think 624 spent more than three total seconds on the right half of the field that whole match.

In retrospect, I just wish I could’ve stuck the landing with the traverse at the end to give us the sole world record. This was before we had the climb working properly where it would latch onto traverse automatically (fixed in our 4th match) so there was some manual work that had to be done.

9 Likes