We are team 3646 from Istanbul, Turkey. This year, we decided to use pneumatic systems on our robot and we almost built it. When it comes to wiring solenoids to solenoid breakouts, we unfortunately realized that we don’t have Cable for Festo VUVG Valve (am-0874). At first, we thought that 2 pin cables were used to wire solenoids to solenoid breakouts. Although they fit solenoid breakout, they don’t fit solenoids.
We don’t have a chance to order Cable from AndyMark right now, it takes long time to be shipped and get them from customs. So, are there any alternative ways for wiring solenoids to solenid breakout? Can we cut 2 pin cables from one side and solder two pins to solenoids ?
the left pin, pin 1, is the 0V connection and the right pin, pin 2, is the 12V supply connection. The provided connector’s cable should have the black wire connecting to pin 1 as the red wire should be connecting to pin 2.
I believe those connectors are standard two pin HiRose connectors that should be available from electronic dealers in your country. I did a search and found this link to Festo Turkey… http://www.festo.com/cms/tr_tr/index.htm
Soldering to those pins is a risky alternative. You may melt the soldered connection to the coil wire internal to the solenoid. I would think using individual PWM contacts covered with heat shrink tubing would be a better alternative.
You’re definitely living right, Al. I searched Allied for solenoid pneumatic valves and got 359 from SMC but none from Festo. Sometimes that Allied search is a puzzler. I might be able to use a manifold base for the festo double acting valves one of these days.
I looked at my Festo wires and noted that they were made in Bulgaria. Due to the vagaries of international trade, they have to go through Indiana to get to Turkey, I guess.
Last year our team used festo valves and had many problems with the factory made electrical connections to the valves them selves so we actually did just what you did which was crack open the casing and individually solder the wires. It took quite a bit of precision and some time but after we finished we didnt have any other problems with the connections.