Field carpet maintenance question

A few years back we received a couple retired quarter field-sized pieces of carpet (heavy 15x30+ rolls). We trim frayed edges and retape the edges each year because the previous year’s tape loses adhesion from unrolling/re-rolling the carpet each meeting (we can’t leave it out at our school). Ideally, we would freshly cut each edge straight & serge (densely wrap) the edges with thread I think, but it seems unlikely we’ll accomplish that. Has anyone found a carpet edge maintenance solution (superior tape?) that lasts through repeated unrolling / re-rolling?

4 Likes

I use a propane torch and melt/singe the edges. If a torch seems too aggressive, a heat gun might work. Same process to fix the occasional snag.

4 Likes

I haven’t done this with the carpet, but I have with rope… 20 years later, the rope end is still good to go!

4 Likes

Not sure what kind of tape you use, but gaffer’s tape tends to stick better than other types such as duct tape. It’s more expensive but it really is better.

5 Likes

We have had even better luck with Gorilla Tape to hold up on carpet edges / connecting carpet sections.

1 Like

Thanks all. I’m going to test the heat gun melt approach first (outside to avoid fumes). And if it doesn’t seem like that will stop the fraying well enough, I’ll try 4-inch wide gaffers tape. We’ve used duct tape before, and it doesn’t hold up for more than a season.

Reach out to your local carpeting company (or equivalent) if you have one. Some will cut and bound your edges for you for free or at a discount.

3 Likes

Can you post pictures when you are done? We would love to try this as well.

1 Like

I have to second this method - gaff tape is really your best bet. It sticks well to the carpet, does not leave a residue,and will protect the edges very well.

2 Likes

We used 4" gorilla tape. The wider tape seems better for joints and edges. It has held up This is 3+ years ago:

And this is the same tape line this week:

The carpets are due for a refresh soon, but the tape has stayed in place well enough.

3 Likes

Yep, I think that will be part of our solution, with maybe melt-fusing the edges before. It looks like your carpet may stay in the same place… One challenge we have is we have to unroll & reroll the carpet every meeting, but I do think the wider 4" gaffer’s tape is what we’ll go with. There are a lot of Gorilla-branded tapes; I assume you probably have some variation of gaffer’s tape there. Thanks for the recommendation & pictures!

The gorilla tape has a much heavier adhesive than gaffer’s tape. Its pretty good about not leaving goo behind, but its MUCH more grippy. Much more likely to pull off paint or damage surfaces. NOT suitable for walls :wink:
I believe that carpet seams are done with hot melt glue… Looking it up… Looks like there’s a glue you can get and a hot melt tape. A sneaky field carpet idea might be to wrap the hot melt tape around the edge and melt it in place on both sides.
Ah, look up a product called “carpet binding”. Its specifically for getting a clean edge and hot melts on!

I see many Gorilla-branded tapes… Is the “real deal” Gorilla tape the one labeled Waterproof Patch and Seal tape? It does come in 4". Thanks

I saw those but after reading reviews I perceive it might not tolerate the constant unrolling and rerolling we have to do. We have an older carpet we could try it on and see, but it seems like the edge melt trick + 4-inch tape (either gaffers or the legit “Gorilla”) will be a good approach to try to that should be flexible enough to unroll/reroll dozens of times and hopefully last more than one season. Thanks.

This is the only stuff I’ve used. It looks like 2.8" is the “wide” version. Plus, I’ve never used it on carpet, so YMMV. I HAVE been very happy with it on all the various applications I HAVE used it one! Black Gorilla Tape | Gorilla Glue

1 Like

So in case your driver gets a bit aggressive on the carpet and rips up more than what can be melted or singed together, hot glue to the rescue!

All better.

3 Likes

Oh man, we could use a lot of glue! Or maybe new carpet, but that seems like a next year thing at this point.

Thanks for this tip.

3 Likes

Nice tip.

On the same topic but on a real tangent, our carpet was up in our shop all the time with the rest of the floor cement. One of our big challenges was to stop fabrication on the carpet; especially as the robot neared completion and people started to not want to pick it up onto a bench or even move it off the carpet. Drilling, filing, etc.

When I first got there, you didn’t even want to kneel on the carpet for fear of getting aluminum shavings embedded in your knees. We’d probably gone a couple of years+ without a working carpet vacuum until I broke down and dropped the $50ish at Walmart to get one. Some of that swarf basically can’t be vacuumed up and if you don’t repair small sections of the carpet as @Mark_Wasserman suggested, you run the risk of sucking long strands into the vacuum - damaging the carpet and the vacuum - ugh.

We finally changed the thinking to not work on the carpet, but by then, it had gotten pretty nasty…

3 Likes

Good field hygiene rule 1:

Vacuum regularly.

Lucky for our team, I find vacuuming and mopping therapeutic so somehow the floor just magically stays pretty clean.

2 Likes