Field Crew Bragging Rights

BAE/GSR (Week One regional and the quickest field reset of week one) had a very very good set of FTA’s (As Coach I worked with them a few more times than I would have preferred to, but they were very professional and good to work with). Field Reset was lightning quick thanks to a very ingenious field re-setter who developed his own tube removal tool and a very experienced set of Refs and Scorekeepers.

Long times aren’t necessarily bad.
Times could be compared against the original pre-play schedule, but that gets overwritten in the FIRST database.

The shorter times are really events that push the limits to get teams the most number of matches possible, but it’s a guessing game when the FTA first sets up the play schedule. It can’t be changed after they commit themselves, so it reflects how some Regional Directors/FTAs are more conservative than others.

The FTA probably scheduled 9 minute turnarounds to be on the safe side, because of what happened last year.
The schedule can also be setup to have longer times the first morning in order to allow everyone to learn, then pickup the pace with faster times in the afternoon.
It looks like Israel ran just shy of 12 hours the first day to keep up.
A couple of rematches also slowed things down, and I missed the dinner break.
So a corrected time would be 8:57 per match (I adjusted the original post to reflect this).

You’ll notice that the Michigan District events are mostly at the bottom, too.
That’s because they decided on a fixed 12 matches per team and a small number of competing teams.
They don’t need to run that fast to keep up, so the pace can be slower.

Even if we sharpied the latest version numbers on the inside of all the safety glasses given out, we would still get old versons popping up here and there on competition days :stuck_out_tongue:

There were 2 rematches at the end of the last match in day 2 (out of 3), so it wasn’t affecting because we played the amount of matches that we needed, but there was a delay between the matches

It’s still available on the qual schedule page. For example, for Israel, http://www2.usfirst.org/2011comp/events/IS/schedulequal.html

It looks like Israel was scheduled for 8 minutes

On that note, BAE/GSR was scheduled for 6 minutes, and fell at 6:42, not bad.

http://www2.usfirst.org/2011comp/events/NH/schedulequal.html

We’re also somewhat more lenient regarding robot problems. You won’t get bypassed if you don’t connect right away. We’ll try everything to make sure all teams get to play all their matches, even if it means running a little late.

Michigan District events run “late” by Regional standards anyway. Nobody is expecting to get out of there before a 6pm supper on Friday, so there’s probably a bit more of a drive to play the matches vs. keeping to the schedule.

+1. I would give (even) more credit for striving for 100% comms for the final matches. A few minutes delay at that point wouldn’t matter. Finals shouldn’t be decided on communication problems.

The one that kills me is teams bringing the e-stop with them to the field still on.
How many times do you have to be told not to bring it or have it on? It makes connecting to the field harder.

I’ll do you one better. A team came onto the field Thursday at Waterloo with the 2009 KwikByte driver station, and asked the FTA how it was supposed to be hooked up…

I’m actually surprised Midwest times out as well as it did.
To be blunt UIC Pavilion is the worst facility of all the events I attend. It’s old, tight and unsafe in some aspects (there’s some sort of fault line running through the arena that goes through the que line and into team’s pits. I think it’s where the divider for the hockey boards were). Because of how tight the place was we had to have teams exit through the corner to the left of the scoring table which caused bottlenecks galore. The Field Supervisor made the call to slow down getting teams on a bit so we could get teams off so teams weren’t crashing into each other carrying robots. I thought the turnaround times would be closer to 10 minutes but things were going smoother on Saturday once all the software issues got squared away and the teams got used to the routine of getting onto and off of the field.

To have one of those they obviously can’t be rookies so they have no excuse to do this.
There can only be one response to this
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc356/Lotanpwnsu/DoubleFacepalmDeMo.jpg

You are wrong about them not being rookies, Ed. Andymark still offers them. I know because every year someone tries to be helpful and buys one.

Well if they’re just rookie we’ll downgrade them to a single facepalm.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p281/matt518672/facepalm.jpg

The high number of matches and low number of teams also means less time for teams between matches. There’s more of a last-minute panic in the pits if your robot isn’t working. I know that matches don’t wait for anyone (aside for robots having connection issues on the field, sometimes), but the shortened repair time is probably a slight contributer to the match pace.

I thought it felt like we were moving through matches much quicker than usual in DC. I was exhausted by the end of Friday, but man it was nice to have 10 qual matches in a regional!

At Peachtree two small things helped a lot.

1. The Queue teams placed stickers on robots that got to the start line on time. This small reward for punctuality was eagerly sought after by teams.

2. Robot Inspectors on each end of the field checked each robot to make sure the battery was plugged in, that the radio was plugged in (power and communications on both ends), and that the driver station was booted. Further, inspectors told students to turn on their robots as soon as they hit the field-- before aligning robots and placing game pieces.

Rewarding punctuality and making sure everything is ready to go helped keep Peachtree in the fast end of the list. One unplugged cable can cost a match two minutes in turn-around time.

The queuers at Long Island did this as well. I think they had three levels of promptness stickers and we had a special overflow queuing area for the real early birds.

During the closing awards ceremony, the most on-time team (FRC Team 2161 Walt Whitman HS) was formally presented with a special award-an ubertube signed by all the field crew in appreciation.

This is being done at many regionals. Perhaps the Lead Queuer training suggested it?