Film Studies Major

Does anyone know of any great colleges in either the NE or Mid-Atlantic, preferably in a more rural setting, that have really good Film Studies programs? I can’t seem to find any where the focus is on analysis of and writing about film, rather than film production. (I hope that’s not too many criteria…)

RISD has a film program

http://www.risd.edu/film.cfm

However it is in Providence, a major city

My daughter is a Film major at a small rural college in PA called Juniata College. Others that she looked that that sound like they would meet your critera are Quinnipiac, Muhlenberg, McDaniel, and University of Vermont. Fordam had a great major, but it is in the middle of NYC!

When did Providence become a MAJOR city?I mean it’s in Rhode Island, more people live in Manhattan than live in your entire state.:stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes:

maybe not a major city, but certainly not rural like the original poster was looking for.

A major city in Rhode Island, OK

Hey, thanks everyone! I’ll certainly be looking into many the places you’ve mentioned. :slight_smile:

Two of the best in the country are at the Tisch School at NYU, and Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh (yeah, we all know CMU for their wonderful robotics program, but their media and film schools are premiere institutions in their own right).

-dave

…and NYU is in merger with Polytechnic University.
Poly is big contributor to the NYC FIRST programs; FRC, FTC, FLL, JFLL.
:slight_smile:

Bold emphasis added by me!

Now if NYU and CMU were the least bit rural… :cool:

Originally Posted by wolfj
Does anyone know of any great colleges in either the NE or Mid-Atlantic, preferably in a more rural setting, that have really good Film Studies programs? I can’t seem to find any where the focus is on analysis of and writing about film, rather than film production. (I hope that’s not too many criteria…)

Bold emphasis added by me, noting the difference between “preferred” and “required.”

-dave

CMU to me is really, really rural! :wink:

For film majors, NYC is the place for N.E.

(There is F.I.T. but that is also NYC)

My niece is attending the film school at Virginia Tech, after also looking into Penn State. Have you looked into Syracuse University? I know they have a well respected communications school, but I don’t know if that includes film. And they’re close enough to you to check out any time. I do know that the SU campus has a more urban feel, where VT and PSU are definitely in college towns.

Steve

Go to http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/ and repeat this question in the “parents” forum. Delphi is the best for robots, but CC roolz for college questions.