FINAL WINNERS

1489 for the rookie award

955 For the Grand Prize Winner

Directly from the rules:

“All animations winning at the regional level will advance to the next phase of judging.”

To my knowledge, team 1489 did not win at the regional level. It isn’t on any of the lists. How did it get judged on the national level? :confused:

Were there rookies that won at a regional? If no then by your logic no rookie could win the rookie award. Which is meant to honor the highest placing rookie.

I am the animator from team R-1481 and YES we most certainly did win the Great Lakes Regional, sir.

The rules state that if a rookie were to win the grand prize than there would be no rookie award winner.

I could understand them choosing a rookie out of everybody if one hadn’t won a regional, but that wasn’t the case.
If only one rookie team had won a regional this year than they would get the rookie award by default.
This year there were three rookies that won at the regional level - 1481, 1188, and 1478. This means that ONLY out of these three teams could a rookie winner be chosen.
This obviously isn’t what happened.

Is either of the animations posted somewhere?
I would really like to see them

Well autodesk is supposed to host both videos on their website (autodesk.com/first) but they still have last years stuff up last time i checked.

Is ANYBODY going to maybe side with me in that it looks like the rules weren’t followed?

I would not set my hopes too high for autodesk website… in past years it took months for the animations to appear.
Maybe someone from teams 955 and 1489 can post a link? If webspace is a problem, i can help.

Sorry, I have not followed the winners from regionals and I had no clue I a rookie animation won any where. Congratulations on both of you victories and good luck in the future.

Settle down their buddy, and let me explain:

First off congrats to the teams for winning, they were great animations, and clearly displayed the spirit of FIRST. Almost makes me want to go back to animations again.

The “Rookie Award” is a completely differant thing than the Grand Prize winner.

You said: “All animations winning at the regional level will advance to the next phase of judging.”

Very true, your animation did get judged for both the “Rookie” Award and the Grand Prize Winner (because you won at a regional).

Please let’s all take a deep breath and relax before we get too OC (out of control) here.

Congrats to the winners, the Grand Prize animation had a great message and I really enjoyed it. :]

From The Awards rules:

The “Rising Star” award will not be awarded on a regional level. For the purposes of this award, the
“Rookie” designation is given to any school that has not submitted for the Autodesk Visualization Award
previously. Teams submitting with a “Rookie” designation (R plus team number) will also be part of the
Autodesk Visualization Awards being judged at the regional level if they have met all the qualifications and
pass the prescreen process. Schools that have submitted previously but have been disqualified do not qualify
as “Rookie” teams under these Guidelines. Should a “Rookie” team win the 2004 Championship Award, there
will be no ”Rising Star” Award presented.

That doesn’t say that the rookie teams qualifying for the Rising Star award has to have won at the regional level - it just says that it must be the first year that the team has submitted an animation to be judged. Our team is in its 4th year but it is our rookie year as animators. Technically, even though we didn’t win the animation award in Canada, we would still be eligible for the rising star award at Championships.

Or am I getting this all wrong?

Thats exactly right Yan, thanks for getting the official clarification on it.

No i do not think you are correct, I looked at that also.

It simply says the rookie DESIGNATION is given to teams that have only submitted an animation for the first time.

A team still must win at the regional level for it to be considered in nationals, as the section before the one you quoted states.

Hello.
We will have the animation up on our website by the end of the week, hopefully sooner. I will post a link when we get it up.

Based on that section, there is NO prerequisite required for a ROOKIE-designated team to be judged at championships for the Rising Star award.

Read:

The “Rising Star” award will not be awarded on a regional level.

Ok, the above is clear enough.

For the purposes of this award, the
“Rookie” designation is given to any school that has not submitted for the Autodesk Visualization Award
previously.

Ok, so rookies are teams that haven’t yet submitted an animation yet - I already said this.

Teams submitting with a “Rookie” designation (R plus team number) will also be part of the
Autodesk Visualization Awards being judged at the regional level if they have met all the qualifications and
pass the prescreen process. Schools that have submitted previously but have been disqualified do not qualify
as “Rookie” teams under these Guidelines.

Ok, so the above said that if a rookie passes the prescreen process, they can be judged at the regional level. Also important is that teams who have submitted before but have been disqualified (was not judged) are NOT rookies.

Should a “Rookie” team win the 2004 Championship Award, there
will be no ”Rising Star” Award presented.

And that says a Rookie-designated team that wins the Championship Award results in no Rising Star award.

I just went through the section you and I referred to quite clearly. The section does not state the qualifications of a Rookie-designated team in regards to being judged at championships for the Rising Star award. But more importantly, it does not state in the above quoted sections that a Rookie-designated team MUST have won at the regional level.

okay listen…

“All animations winning at the regional level will advance to the next phase of judging.”

To me this ALSO means: all animations NOT winning at the regional level will NOT advance to the next phase of judging

Perhaps this is an extrapolation i am not allowed to make. It only seems like common sense to me.

Also: Rookie teams who won at the regional level should take precedence over any other rookie team by default. IF a non-rookie animation was to be chosen for the grand prize than the rookie award must go to any rookie team that one at a regional, or if that didn’t happen, then the rookie award would be given to ANY rookie team (which of course would involve bringing all of the rookie animations into contention for the award).
To put it more simply: Because a non-rookie animation was chosen for the grand prize winner this year, then the only ones who should have been considered for the rookie award are teams 1188, 1478, and 1181 – plain and simple.
Once again: this is, to me, common sense

I don’t know if you’re a little bitter or something, but I guess that’s just the way FIRST interperets their own rules. I can see your point on how they are a little sketchy, so maybe it would be advantageous to post on the FIRST forums or e-mail FIRST / Autodesk to clarify this for next year.

I don’t understand the problem. Are you perhaps making the mistake of thinking that the “Rising Star” award is a “phase” of judging? It isn’t. It is totally separate from the regular Autodesk Visualization Award (with the provision that a rookie receiving the championship means there will be no Rising Star award given).

Think it through. What happens to all those rookies who didn’t win a regional because there was a non-rookie animation judged to be better at that regional? Your “common sense” interpretation would deny them the opportunity to compete against the other rookies, even though there’s no reason to think they are inferior to them.

look man, it doesn’t matter if they were supposed to be in the competition or not. I think the cg parts of your animation were excellent, but in the end it was a glorified video with a couple seconds of CG. The presense of the winning team makes no difference whatsoever on the fate of your “animation”

This is a good point.
It’s still not very clear at all. I think a lot of people were confused.

Sure I’m bitter haha. The winning rookie animation had no message at all. I thought that was the point.