Finding Allowable Error in Shooting

I thought it would be fun to make a projectile motion simulator that looks for the possible space of position and exit velocity that is able to launch cargo into the Upper Hub.

This python program generates an interactive matplotlib program that you can play around with, and maybe this could help with determining where/how to shoot cargo given different confidence levels in shoot angle and speed. For example, if you aren’t very confident in your ability to control the speed, find a position on the field where the crescent in the bottom plot is very tall for a particular angle. A more computational approach might be to find a combination of [x position, y position, angle, speed] that maximizes an ellipse (representing your variances in angle and speed) inside the green region. I have no idea how to implement this, but if you have an idea, try it out or let me know!

Limitations:

• This uses simple 2D projectile motion physics (no drag or spin) and assumes cargo does not bounce out.
  • The color gradient is calculated with the area of the green region multiplied by how much field of view the rim of the Upper Hub takes up from that distance. There might be a better way to calculate the allowable error in yaw, given that the goal is circular.
  • For generating the green region, I’m assuming the cargo has a radius of 0. Whether or not the generated trajectory turns green does take the cargo radius into account though. Whether if that’s an accurate way to do it, idk
12 Likes

This looks impressive. Nice work.

Drag and lift are necessary for getting an accurate simulation for designing or developing speed and angle setpoint curves for shooting from anywhere. It’s really not that much more difficult to add drag and lift components to the calculations.

From very early and preliminary testing, it looks like the magnus or lift effect is likely to be a big deal for a single-axle shooter without a powered exit roller to control backspin rate.

2 Likes

nice looking on the surface. Well done. May play around with it later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there any data on how much the balls will bounce on different spots in the upper hub?

If so then this could be plugged in and accounted for in the script. This would be extremely helpful for finding, or maybe even calculating on the field, the necessary angle given a certain speed.

Though I’m not sure if anyone is using adjustable-angle shooters… potential idea?:eyes:

Looking at this other tool that simulates bounces, it seems that bouncing out is pretty unlikely.

Edit: It seems that 4926 has done some physical testing here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.