I’ve been thinking about this off-and-on for a while.
The first question is, is this JUST for FIRST Champs, or would it have other possible uses as well? E.g.: Could it also double as an event venue, for concerts as an example, or as a makerspace? If I was doing this for a regional I’d definitely be thinking about both of those… gotta make some money while it’s not robots season.
- Basement. In addition to being a severe weather shelter, the basement has a machine shop, outfitted with manual and CNC machines of various types. This allows rapid repairs of robots, building equipment, and some money-making as the shop can be either a makerspace or a job shop. The basement would also have designated storage space (enough for several fields worth of road cases, plus other similar items). Also includes the building office (for building staff, including maintenance, security, and rental).
- First Floor: FRC. Due to the heavy nature of FRC fields, robots, and pits, they’re on floor 1. This floor has space for some number of fields (up to 12, possibly more). However, each field is in its own “bay”–that is, each field can be closed off fully from the others, either by temporary partitions or by being in its own room. Each field has about 80 pits worth of space assigned to it, at the closest location. Each field has stands on both long sides. Each bay also has a “house” lighting truss and screens–but no strobe lights by default. And did I mention: Acoustic panels on the walls. Due to FRC requirements, the ceiling is fairly tall, so it can be used by a wide variety of events.
During the offseason, this space is an event space: conventions, indoor basketball tournaments, people just need some event halls, you name it. Possible use as a temporary warehouse.
- Second floor: FLL, volunteer space, and “exhibition” space (scholarship row, innovation fair, etc.) A few large-ish rooms line one side, while most of the rest of the space is either open area or has temporary walls. One room is a designated quiet room (with a balcony for outside-lovers).
- Third floor: FTC, and quiet room/balcony. Pretty much the same as second floor.
- Grounds: a combination of open space, picnic tables, parking, and semi/bus parking. Probably a parking garage on one side for non-large-vehicle parking, and a large secured lot for the semis, buses, and trailers on the other. On the shady side of the building, a large open area with some picnic tables and some various open “grassy” areas (and because I’m lazy/cheap, probably fake turf).
- Various items in the building: snack stands on all levels, probably a couple of restaurants on the ground floor exterior (money maker, charge 'em rent and allow them to be open whenever), definitely at least two freight elevators going the full height of the building. One loading dock (double wide) to the basement and one to the first floor. Plenty of restrooms, likely to be single-seaters with common wash-up area for a group. Water bottle refill/water fountains all over the place.
Location: Somewhere near a decently-large airport, preferably one that handles international flights.
Or I’d steal the design of the convention center in Munich, Germany.
You’ll notice that I’ve focused a bit on making this work for non-FIRST events. There’s a reason for that: If you can’t maintain the building, you can’t use it. And if you don’t have the money to maintain it, you can’t maintain it. So you gotta make money… and having a steady revenue stream (via the machine shop and restaurants) gets you through the times between conferences/conventions.