FIRST Cedar Point Gathering?

Well, the idea was brought up in the “Six Flags” thread, so I thought I’d make an official thread… who would be interested in some sort of FIRST get-together at Cedar Point in beautiul Sandusky, Ohio? No idea on timing, but it would be sometime over the summer, and any Midwest FIRSTers would be invited (I suppose you could come from farther away if you really wanted too, though). Just think, a chance to meet some of your favorite CD personalities in a quality amusement park! If we can get enough people on board, we might be able to get some sort of group rate. Let’s hear it if you’re interested.

Aha, I remember living in Cleveland, Ohio… great place.

I don’t particularly like roller coasters. Just a few at Cedar Point even though there’s so many.

I remember a grasshopper ride or something which was standup and also had bumps/cracks in the rail which scared the crap out of you. That was good.

Depending on when it is I would be interested in doing it.

I’m in. Heights are fun

*Originally posted by gsensel *
**Depending on when it is I would be interested in doing it. **

Well, do you have a suggestion for a day? If anyone has any suggestions for when to do this, say something.

Mid to Late July

*Originally posted by monsieurcoffee *
**I remember a grasshopper ride or something which was standup and also had bumps/cracks in the rail which scared the crap out of you. That was good. **

That’s Mantis, and there are no cracks. :stuck_out_tongue:

…as for the get together. It’s 8 hours away, and I don’t even like Cedar Point that much, but who knows…maybe I’ll be there.

Ya i would like to go. and yes i do live in ft. Lauderdale but I will be going in and out of pittsburgh all summer, so if we get a date i will set a date when i am going to pitt to come.

Well, just let us know what your plans are, and maybe we can accomodate you. No guarantees, but it’s something to consider.

depending on when it is, chances are that you will see me there…I planned on a Cedar Point trip this summer anyway

oOo. great idea! i never been to cedar point. but, im willing to give up a two-day trip there. =)

my son and I goto cedar point every summer for a couple days. Bring the coleman camper and stay right in the park - its super!

I dont think there would be much point in having a FIRST day at cedar point, there would not be much to do with other FIRST people except say, what team where you on? how did you do? thats cool.

howabout, instead, wherever you go this summer, wear your FIRST shirt, or your team shirt - maybe we can make a contest out of it - How many FIRST people can you link up with over the summer (by random chance)

its also a great way to spread the ‘mission’ of FIRST - someone asks you what your shirt is from, you get to tell them about one of the coolests things in the world. you might be the seed that sparks a new team next fall!

Depends if I’m at Disney or in Cleveland durring my annual Summer trip up. If it’s durring late July, then I could very possably be there!

Can’t wait for —/

http://cedarpoint.com/images/homepageshow/composite.jpg

Well, just from current responses, I’m thinking some time in late July sounds like a decent idea. What does eveyone think about that? I would say probably after IRI (Jul. 18-19), so some time in the last two weeks of July.

sounds like a road trip then

OMGosh!!! My family went out to Ohio last year and we went to Cedar Point, it is possibly one of the best times of my life!!
I would give ANYTHING to go back and let’s see if i can convince some people on my team to go…

If I can road trip, I’ll road trip. :slight_smile:

I’ve been needing to go to Cedar Point for about the last eight years. I’ve ridden the coasters at SFOG too many times now. (Though I haven’t ridden Deja Vu-- I’m sure PKI’s Invertigo is way beetter-- and I haven’t ridden Superman: Ultimate Flight-- but I will this Friday.) I know almost all of them by heart. And I’m going to miss the viper…

I was considering road tripping up to OH to go back and visit PKI and stop in at Cedar Point anyways, so if I can be there, I’ll be there. (The Beast is my favorite coaster of all time!)

*Originally posted by M. Krass *
**That’s Mantis, and there are no cracks. :stuck_out_tongue:

…as for the get together. It’s 8 hours away, and I don’t even like Cedar Point that much, but who knows…maybe I’ll be there. **

You’re going, I need a ride :smiley:

Seriously give us a date and I’ll try to bully him in to going.

Okay… very VERY preliminary plans here… as it’s only the first day after I made the announcement. As of right now, we’re looking at a weekday in the last two weeks of July. I’m open to suggestions on exact days, but it will be some time either July 21-25 or July 28-August 1.

Now, some other things: do we want to try and set this up as an actual group event, or just have everybody show up and meet somewhere at a specific time? If we book it as a group, the tickets are $31 apiece, as opposed to $43.95 for a standard one-day admission. In order to do this, though, I would need firm numbers at least a month in advance. Payment would also be an issue. The question is, how many people would be going, and is it worth the time and aggravation to try and book a group?

One caveat, though: I’ll organize this if it just involves setting a date and meeting place. I won’t handle money, though. First off, I’m only 17. Second, I’ve been left holding the bag too many times when people haven’t paid me for trivial things like t-shirts. I’m not going to try to collect $31 from people I’ve never met that live 500+ miles away. It’s too much.

An interesting side note, though… walk up groups of 15 or more can get a slightly discounted $36 rate. This may be the way to go. What do you think?

Set a meeting place and time. This would be the best IMHO. I can’t guarantee I can come, so just a meeting place and a ‘try to find as many FIRST people as possable’ contest might be cool!

The meet could be at the end of the day. People will get other teams to sign off on a sheet and the person with the most will get a prize!