FIRST Championship Updates: 2025 & Beyond

Gotta love when people say terrible things and then go and delete all of their posts.

12 Likes

What did I say specifically that was terrible? I emphasized they were important conversations but it just wasn’t relevant to the post. That doesn’t make me terrible, right? If so, Im sorry. I wont do it again

Peter gave a specific example of the relevance. Just because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant.

Why does it matter if it has happened or not? That’s similar to asking if an LBGQT+ has been attacked at Champs in TX. What’s the saying? Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

I would hope that people would know what situations would require any of this care. They aren’t fun to think about, but they happen. And yes, they can happen anywhere, but, if they do, it would be helpful to be in a state where all options are available.

There will never be a Champs location that makes everyone happy. I would hope, though, that FIRST would stop choosing a location that inhibits the rights of anyone.

1 Like

But the context in that comment was women living in texas. But the scenario was about someone visiting texas for champs.

“I would hope, though, that FIRST would stop choosing a location that inhibits the rights of anyone.”

I don’t think there is a single place in the world then sadly.
Anyways, for anyone reading, I’ll let yall cool off. Sorry if bringing up relevancy upset anyone reading. Have a good day/night yall! :kissing_smiling_eyes: :heart:

Well, that would narrow it down to… a blue state in the US, probably Canada, some Central American states, most of Western Europe, and lots of Oceania. And Antarctica, technically.

1 Like

I mean if you can show venues in oceania or antartica that can host Champs, be my guest lol. Also it would probably need to remain in America since a lot of sponsors and stuff are tied to being in America, as well as the logistical nightmare of a majority of FIRST teams needing to get through international customs and things of that sort

Did you even read his response??? I am genuinely baffled by what part of this you believe is irrelevant to a woman visiting Texas.

3 Likes

but again, the laws he brought up were about women who live in texas, not those visiting.

The scenario created is a good one to discuss honestly, but it just doesn’t fit the other comment listing the laws for women living in texas.

That law applies to anyone in Texas, regardless of if they are visiting or live in the state.

5 Likes

Hi. Didn’t last year.

You say this like attending champs is impossible while being trans. I know a lot of trans folk, including my best friend and co-captain, who attended with 0 issue. Also is your point that if some people don’t get equal access to champs, no one should?

I agree with others: you are being disingenuous, even if unintentionally.

If I had to travel to place that forced woman to stay inside unless accompanied by a male of their family, always cover all their skin when in public, and not go to school beyond elementary, I would STILL be affected by the knowledge and the atmosphere of the location. Even if the laws didn’t apply to me as a male.

I know what many of the politicians (and the people who vote for them) condone in Texas. I would certainly be considering that while there. Unless someone is simply oblivious to the world around them, I don’t know how they couldn’t be aware of their surroundings.

It’s like saying one shouldn’t be cognizant of crime in high crime areas. Yeah - I’ve never been car jacked. That doesn’t mean I don’t keep the doors locked in certain places I have to travel regularly.

Laws of a location don’t need to directly apply to me to affect me. That’s just not the way life works.

Case-in-point, Texas laws piss me off, and I have nothing to do with them.

Please don’t rely on pedantry to try to make a point.

4 Likes

Well this thread is a disaster. I’m outta here.

2 Likes

It’s not that every trans person who goes to champs is going to experience something horrible, but the risk of something bad happening. I hope you can understand the concept that if something doesn’t happen, but is still a risk, that is unsafe. For example, you can wear sandals in a machine shop, and not get injured, but that doesn’t mean you are safe.

And indeed, I am trans and attended 2024 champs without issue, but I also was not visibly trans while at champs. People who know me can confirm I toned wayyyy down how feminine I looked at champs compared to local events.

I am frankly tired of having to explain why the state of Texas is not a good state to host a world championship of an extremely queer robotics program. The GRB is not the only place we can host champs, and I’m tired of pretending that it’s the best option. Safety FIRST extends to this, and it’s silly to pretend otherwise.

Edit: I’m also tired of having to explain where the safe states are, I can only post the same link so many times before it gets boring.

22 Likes

Is Michigan a good state for LGBTQ members of FIRST? I’m a big fan of Detroit champs.

I believe this is the current map. Pulled from the alternate champs locations thread.

11 Likes

This pains me as a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins, but could philly work? Or New York? Biggest problem I see is that they are on the east coast, so a problem for our friends out west.