**FIRST EMAIL**/2007 FRC Manual Decryption and Bill of Materials Information

Greetings Teams:

**2007 FRC Manual Decryption Information

**The 2007 manual will be available to teams on our website in the form of ‘.pdf’ files at 5 PM EST today, January 3, 2007. Please note six (6) sections of the manual (Introduction, Arena, Game, Robot, Tournament, and Kit of Parts) as well as the Kit of Parts (KOP) Checklist are encrypted. Instructions for decrypting these files are given below.

***Tip! ***We recommend you get a binder with tabs as there are a total of eleven sections!

**To accommodate timely distribution of the encrypted portions of the manual, here is the plan:

**The decryption password, which will allow you to open these files, will be announced at the end of the Kickoff on Saturday, January 6, 2007.

IMPORTANT The files will not be readable until the decryption password is released at Kickoff on Saturday.

The non-encrypted versions will be posted at 12:00 noon on Saturday January 6th, however, **teams are encouraged to download the encrypted sections ahead of time to help alleviate downloading delays on the 6th.

**There is no difference in the content of the encrypted and non-encrypted versions.

Individuals traveling to a Kickoff site who wish to have a manual to read for their ride home are encouraged to bring a portable computer with these files saved on the hard-drive, Acrobat Reader installed. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 7 or higher to decrypt these files. If you do not have it, you may download it for free at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING (and TESTING) ENCRYPTED MANUAL:

In order to be sure that you have the capability to decrypt the files at the appropriate time, a test file is currently posted on the FIRST website.

The method used to encrypt these files is secure. It is called 128-bit RC4 encoding, and is a current standard considered by the US Government as completely secure for short (weeks) periods of time. Please go to:

[http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=3828

](http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=3828)You may download this file now and decrypt it with the following case-sensitive password: **2007DecryptTest
Acrobat will prompt you for the password when you try to open the file.

If you get to see the message ***“Congratulations! You have successfully decrypted the test file”***, then you have successfully decrypted the file and have everything you need for Saturday.

**Bill of Materials

**This season, each team’s decision regarding building field mockups may be a bit more complex than normal. The Game Design Committee feels
that an advance Bill of Materials (BOM) list might be misleading and cause some teams to buy more materials than they will likely use.

Please wait for a full set of field drawings and their lower cost equivalents to be released immediately following Kickoff. Knowing the nature of this year’s challenge, you can more logically decide what to buy and build.

See you at Kickoff!

Go Teams!

Now…that is scary. So much for simplicity in a 2007 game!

At least there could of been a second hint in the test decrypt file :frowning:

Yea… now five is starting to sound like pentathlon.

That section about the Bill of Materials increases my feelings of something like a teetor-totter and other complex field elements. :yikes::ahh::yikes:

2004?

Sounds like there will be many scoring options.

For those of you out there that don’t like using Adobe Reader, I just tried the more compact program Foxit Reader to open the test file and it worked beautifully, so if you use that it works just as well.

In other news, I think the game design committee has us on our toes this year more than ever, a Picture for a clue, a banana in the picture, no bill of materials at all, it’s going to be a fun year.

that means i ahve to wait till 2 (pacific) i was searching the site trying to get the files hahaha

Its up, very speedy, no problems getting them all here.

Same here, now all I have to do is sit back and relax until Saturday :slight_smile:

Has anyone noticed that the Awards section is encrypted as well (though not mentioned as such in the email)?

Interesting…

When I try to download I get a request for a password. How do I get the manual downloaded.

The manual is encrypted. The password will be given at the end of the Kickoff on Saturday morning.

Do a right click, “Save As” so you can save it even though you dont have the password yet.

Thanks

Is anyone else here making themself crazy right now?

I have the 2007 game on my hard drive, but I CAN’T READ IT!!! (why isn’t there a “bashing head on desk” smiley?)

I love how they had to mention that it is secure encoding. I wonder if in '05 someone brute-forced the manual, and that’s why they had a ridiculously long and random password '06 instead of the l33t sp33k they did in '05.

I don’t know. For sure I won’t get much sleep now. they HAD to release those PDFs early…

JBot

EDIT: I’m not going to brute-force anything. Just wanted to make that clear.

Yeah it does kind of suck that we don’t get the clue to decrypt them but ohh well. In a way thats fair!!! But then again I wish I could read the manual.

I AM NOT GOING TO SLEEP AT ALL!!! This drives me nuts! FIRST if you get this we should get a clue!!!

(Bangs head on desk):ahh:

Yea my guess is that something in the BOM would give a part of the field away :yikes:

We will find out on Saturday!

just a question… are teams allowed to mirror the files on their servers? do we need permissions? if so where would i go to get that?

thanks in advance
/forest

oh my the tension is building quite high…
i cant wait for the decryption passwords. This is going to be so exciting (=