FIRST is having their 4th Annual Safety Animation Contest to encourage teams to work and behave in a safe manner during the 2008 FRC season. The theme is “Lead by Example: Safety First”. Entering this contest will be good practice for teams who plan to submit for the Autodesk Visualization Award during the season.
The animations should stress the concept that safety leadership is more than just embracing safety. Safety leaders are positive role models who respectfully help others to live safely as well. The submissions need to contain at least one of the following attributes:
- Demonstrating concern for the safety of your team and others
- Reaching out to help a team struggling with a safety issue
- Taking steps proactively to correct a safety problem
- Recognizing other teams’ safety efforts
- Rewarding others for exhibiting safety leadership
- Graciously accepting assistance that improves safety
- Educating pit visitors on safety and safe behavior, including the need to wear proper safety gear
- Using tools safely and using the right tool for the job
- Exhibiting gracious professionalism at all times
- Having fun, but staying safe
The animations should be 15 to 30 seconds long and contain one of the above behaviors. Teams can use the Autodesk 3ds Studio Max software from this year (which will be released in the beginning of November), or last year to create their animation. Submission will be done by mailing your entry on a DVD to: FIRST Safety Animation, ATTN: Wendy Trommer, FIRST, 200 Bedford St., Manchester, NH, 03101. You must also include a completed entry form in your submission packet to finalize your entrance into the competition. Please note that your submission will become the property of FIRST and the right to use and display it belongs to FIRST. The entry form is located at http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=7028.
The deadline for submission is Monday, December 3, 2007. Please note that your DVD must be received at FIRST by that date. Please allow ample time when you mail your entry. The winning animation will be highlighted during the FIRST kickoff on January 5, 2008. We also intend to show this animation at the beginning of each regional, as we did last year. Take into consideration that a clear and precise audio portion of the animation is very important. As with every FIRST Award, only those submissions portraying Gracious Professionalism and good sportsmanship will be considered.