***Deadlines and reminders galore…
· Kit & Kickoff section in TIMS opens: The Kit & Kickoff section of TIMS is now open: https://my.usfirst.org/frc/tims/site.lasso. ***Please find additional information about choosing your Kit & Kickoff preferences at the bottom of this email. **
· Submit your Safety Animation in STIMS: Students can start submitting Safety Animations via the STIMS today at 12 noon EDT: https://my.usfirst.org/stims/site.lasso. The deadline for submissions is December 6th. For more information about the Safety Animation contest, please visit: http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=18251.
· 2nd Event Registration opens soon: Teams will be able to register for their 2nd Competition event in TIMS starting 10/28 at 12 noon EDT: https://my.usfirst.org/frc/tims/site.lasso. Veteran teams who DID compete at the 2010 Championship can also register for Championship on this date.
· ** Does your team need special shipping support for your Bag & Tag event?** If so, you must inform [email protected] by December 15th. As a rule, all Bag and Tag teams must bring their robots IN and OUT of their event venue. If you write in and ask for an exception to this rule, and we decide your team has a good reason for SHIPPING your robot to a Bag and Tag event, we will try to find someone or some place near the event that can accept the delivery of the robot and store it securely until FRC has access to the venue. Finally, we will try to arrange for the stored robot to be delivered to the event. As you can imagine, this will take some serious planning to set up, so PLEASE only ask for this “special delivery” option if you ABSOLUTELY need it. As always, the sooner you let us know, the better! (Tip: You can typically rent a U-Haul truck for as little as $19.95/day…this could be a great alternative option!) Thanks for your cooperation.
· Electronic Consent & Release forms for Mentors COMING SOON: We have received some questions about the Electronic Consent & Release form for Mentors this season. This option will be opening to mentors via TIMS starting November 7th. Please note that students have their parents complete e-consent forms in STIMS, and adult Mentors will complete e-consent forms in TIMS once they are available. To find a Process Overview, please visit: http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=8128.
Bill had a lot to say on his blog this week: Yesterday Bill blogged about everything from NASA grant applications, to the variations between the 2011 Rookie and Veteran Kit of Parts. If your school blocks http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/, remember you can always catch up Bill’s Blog on our FRC News & Email Blasts page: http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/emailblastarchive.aspx.
Senior Mentor Call 10/27: The next FIRST Senior Mentor call will take place on Wednesday, October 27th at 7 PM EDT. The topic is the 2011 Chairman’s Award, and you will be able to find a full outline plus call-in information here (coming soon): http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=10124.
*“Kit and Kickoff Preferences” is where you indicate how your team wants to pickup/receive the Kit of Parts (KoP) and where/if your team plans to attend Kickoff. Please note the following before you making your selections:
- Picking up your KoP at a Kickoff will save your team shipping costs;
- If your team chooses not to attend any Kickoff, the KoP will be shipped to your Shipping Contact and your team will be responsible for the shipping costs.* Teams that choose to have their KoP shipped can expect to receive it sometime during the week after Kickoff. International teams should be aware your delivery will depend on customs clearance;
- Your team may attend more than one Kickoff. For example, you can send members to the Kickoff in Manchester, NH, at the same time that other members of your team attend a Local Kickoff in your area. However, you must indicate only one kickoff for kit pickup.
- We strongly
encourage Rookie Teams to send two (2) adult team leaders to the Manchester, NH Kickoff Workshops! Workshop topics and descriptions are coming soon! *Surrogate Kit Pickup Option:
If your team is unable to pick up its KoP at a Kickoff, and you do not wish to incur shipping charges to have it mailed, an alternate team may pick up your KoP at a Kickoff. You must provide FIRST with an authorization letter, signed by the main contact, on school or sponsor letterhead in order for us to release the kit. You can find a template for this letter here: http://tinyurl.com/34lv9do.
Fax the letter to Team Support at 603-666-3907 no later than 5:00 PM EDT on January 3, 2011, or send a hard copy to FIRST, Attn: Team Support, 200 Bedford Street, Manchester, NH 03101. The letter must include the following:
1.) Your Team Number and the Local Kickoff pick-up location;
2.) The name and team number of the representative picking up the KoP;
3.) Provide a copy of the Surrogate Kit Pickup letter to the team representative picking up the KoP for your team. This representative must bring the letter to the appropriate Kickoff.