FIRST in Focus #6 Marshall Massengill and FRC 900 Zebracorns - Present Software Development Practices and Emerging Technologies

FIRST in Focus Speaker #6 - Marshall Massengill and FRC 900 The Zebracorns will be the guest this week. The Zebracorns will be presenting their thoughts on software development. The team will talk about the challenges faced by software development in FRC teams and some of the solutions the team has implemented. The idea is to have speakers share about a topic followed with Q&A by the attendees. We will utilizing Zoom Webinar for the presentation. All meetings will be recorded and posted for later viewing on FRC 2468’s YouTube.
Presentation followed is Thursday, May 21st at 7:00 PM CST followed by Q&A.

Click here to complete the Google Form to receive a Zoom webinar invite.

If you have suggestions for questions for the topic, please post them here.!

9 Likes

It’s also worth mentioning this is a 2 for 1 offer. @KJaget will also be there and talking about things. He’s pretty cool. I like him. Sometimes he even lets me mentor the students.

3 Likes

Will either of you be discussing how to make a robot move? :heart:

(For folks not in the know, this is a running joke between Marshall and I that 900s robots are more data center than robot. They do cool stuff.)

10 Likes

We strive to make harmonious robots now.

In all seriousness, we’ve come a long way from where we started with this whole experimental industry/academia robotics framework business and we’ve learned a lot that we hope we can share though we’ll aim to focus on development practices more than anything else.

4 Likes

Who will be providing moderation for Marshall? :innocent:

1 Like

His kid.

3 Likes

Much like his diapers, it’s a dirty job but someone has to do it.

I’ll be on my best behavior. I promise.

3 Likes

Well, that one time it did come loose in the trailer on the drive back to the lab. But that wasn’t my fault, honest.

3 Likes

In preparation for the session. If you have questions ahead of time or things you are interested in that you want to ask about, this is as decent a place as any to ask them. We’ll save the responses for the presentation and session but happy to take questions now.

1 Like

Marshall,

I know my programming students are excited and interested to hear more about ROS.

4 Likes

In case you missed last week, FRC 3847 Spectrum’s video is up: https://youtu.be/2q8iGo5i3Jc
Check it out and be sure to come by tonight to here FRC 900 The Zebracorns presentation.

1 Like

I couldn’t come because of AP’s :frowning_face:. Will there be a recording uploaded to youtube or somewhere?

1 Like

Yes, there will be a recording posted on 2468’s Youtube channel in around a week

3 Likes

Very impressed with the students that were part of last nights presentation. Very well spoken, clear and concise.

2 Likes

@Coach_Norm have you uploaded the video for this one? I’ve had some folks reach out to me about it.

For the people on the call, we talked a bit about our white papers, all of which can be found here:

https://team900.org/labs/

And specifically the ROS ones are here:

https://team900.org/tags/#ZebROS

The earlier papers have a good overview of what ROS is and the papers evolve over time to explain where we are today (and a new one will be coming soon).

Hey Marshall, I have had some computer problems with the video. I believe I will get it uploaded tomorrow.
Thanks for the links. I apologize for the delay in getting it posted.

1 Like

Not a worry at all. I figured it had to be something like that. If there is anything we can do then let us know.

Video? :pray: