FIRST Jeopardy! (9/1)

Okay… let’s not have another slow month like last month. Hopefully, you’ve checked the results. I don’t think I have any rules to add. We have a second Daily Double added for this month. Other than that, it’s time for another clean slate.

Check back at 22:00 EDT for the question.

To kick things off, for 300, this was the year of the last military attack on the United States (actual soil, territories don’t count). 100 bonus for what country launched it, and 100 bonus for who lead it.

I’m going to go way out on a limb since I know this isn’t the answer you’re expecting. Still, I can’t think of anything more recent.

What are the Japanese balloon attacks of 1944? …led by, uh, the Jet Stream, I guess.

In order:

When was 1815?
What was Great Britain?
Who was Sir Edward Pakenham?

clarification to my answer: it’s the Battle of New Orleans. The question didn’t ask for the name or place of the battle, but I thought I’d toss that in for clarification.

<edit>Merged posts</edit>

When is September 11, 2001?

Part 2: is still up for debate, but What is Afghanistan?
Part 3: Who is Osama bin Laden

before anyone denies this, the men involved were part of the Al-Qada who were part of the Taliban Militia, so by definition, it was a military attack.

I think this question was poorly constructed. :slight_smile:

I consider September 11, 2001 to have been a terrorist attack, not a military campaign, but that’s just me. I’ll admit to being poorly versed in the roles and hierarchies involved in Afghanistan, Al Qaeda, and the Taliban regime.

The Battle of New Orleans was the last engagement on American soil.

The Japanese, however, did attack the United States – at Pearl Harbor, then a territory, and in Washington, Oregon, and Michigan.

Only Eddie knows what he was thinking when he came up with this question.

*Originally posted by M. Krass *
**I think this question was poorly constructed. :slight_smile:

I consider September 11, 2001 to have been a terrorist attack, not a military campaign, but that’s just me. I’ll admit to being poorly versed in the roles and hierarchies involved in Afghanistan, Al Qaeda, and the Taliban regime.

The Battle of New Orleans was the last engagement on American soil.

The Japanese, however, did attack the United States – at Pearl Harbor, then a territory, and in Washington, Oregon, and Michigan.

Only Eddie knows what he was thinking when he came up with this question. **

Agreed to all those points. All were things I’d considered, as well. Plus, you could count the Confederate attack on Gettysburg in 1863, too… so that makes 4 possible answers, depending on what Eddie was thinking.

what is 1066 the battle of Haystings?

9/11/2001 was a terrorist attack, plain and simple. Doesn’t count.

Pearl Harbor doesn’t count because Hawaii wasn’t part of the United states at the time. Neither do the balloon attacks (it’s a fable depending on what you read).

Everything else either predates the answer, or is on a different continent all together (I’m still laughing at Mike’s answer).

Nobody got the answer. In 1916, Pancho Villa took 600 mexican soldiers into Columbus, New Mexico (a town with an army base). He did some burning and looting, but lost somewhere between 100 and 200 soldiers (compared to 18 Americans, half of them civilians). John Pershing led the Punitive Expidition into Mexico in order to disperse his troops, but they never found him. On the plus side, it gave a great field test for the new army air force.

I love the history channel…

Darnit… I almost guessed that. I wasn’t sure about it, though.

Well, I have to respectfully disagree.
The Japanese attacked the mainland United States in 1944. No question about it. Remnants from over 250 distinct balloons have been recovered.

So, then, why doesn’t that count?

…for reference,

there are many (point taken?) websites that have details about the attacks. They’re not a fable.

Just because America-centric and -positive history curriculums don’t mention these attacks (gee, wonder why?), it doesn’t mean they didn’t happen. :slight_smile:

<edit>merged posts</edit>

*Originally posted by EddieMcD *
9/11/2001 was a terrorist attack, plain and simple. Doesn’t count.

Just because it was a terrorist attack, doesnt mean it wasn’t a military attack also. It was an attack on US soil and it was by a military, case closed. According to the way you worded your question, that completely fits the requirements of the question

Alright, final ruling: 9/11 may have been carried out by military men, but it does not mean it was a military assult. I’m about 50/50 on the bomb baloons (was before I posted the question. I was hoping no one would answer with that), but my ruling is that is wasn’t an engagement.