FIRST Lost Media - Official FIRST Anthems

The year was 2006 and teams in Boston, MA were setting up for an exciting competition weekend. The game was Aim High, and this would be the first opportunity for teams to uncrate since their robots were sent to New Hampshire for inspection. As the sounds of gears grinding and saws whirring filled Agganis Arena, a voice echoed in the pits from the pit announcer. FIRST was inviting all teams to the stands to hear TWO songs it had created and wanted our opinion on which one would become the new official anthem for FIRST.

On that day and for the rest of the season, these songs would be etched into the minds of anyone who attended a competition that year. They would be played constantly. During every lunch, emcees and game announcers would ask teams to come up with corresponding dances. By the time Championships arrived in Atlanta, GA, you could hear groaning and booing from around the Georgia Dome as the song was played at each of the four fields.

Then, as quickly as the song appeared, it disappeared into obscurity. FIRST tried to hide the song and scrub any hint at its existence. All traces of it were removed from the FIRST website and it was never played at another competition.

Now after 13 years and thinking that it was more of a false memory than reality, I have found these mythical missteps in FIRST history.

Please share with your team and let us get these songs back on the playlist at FIRST competitions.

Song 1 - The Real FIRST

Song 2 - FIRST Two

24 Likes

Almost as good as this.

2 Likes

I remember that day. Still get those songs stuck in my head occasionally.

2 Likes

Almost as good as this.

3 Likes

This thread is causing me physical pain.

2 Likes

2006 looks to be a scary time. The songs remind me of the Pronges theme song…

Song 1 isn’t great, but it’s catchy and will be stuck in my head all weekend.

Song 2 confuses me and I don’t like it.

1 Like

please rise for our national anthem

3 Likes

I’m sad that now only my year will know about the beauty of steam powered.

5 Likes

Ah, 2017 Minute Maid Park. So many… interesting… things happened there. I’m not sure what was more fun: the heat stroke acquired while waiting for hours to get in, or waiting for hours for the Einstein matches to finish. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m honestly shocked nobody has shared these on this thread yet:

3 Likes

Brilliant. Now it looks like I have some students to convince in about 10 months.

8 Likes

who could forget this banger - I believe circa 2010

edit: i listened to the 2 FIRST songs in the OP… this one is at least 5x better

6 Likes

Check out the discussion thread from 2006 when these came out. Pure gold - Choose the FIRST Anthem?

1 Like

FIRST’s painful attempts at trying to interface with its strained idea of what “hip-hop culture” is are some of the most cringey things they ever do.

Even this year, that one video where they try to give FIRST board members “Lil’” names. It hurts. No one is entertained by this. It doesn’t reach any student.

5 Likes

Especially when almost every (non-Will Smith?) hip-hop song is on the DNP list :unamused:

2 Likes

Hows about will.i.am ‘singing’ the first version of Hall of Fame in 2014? That was good right? Right? right…

2 Likes

I hate you so much right now for coming back with these. Just when I thought they were finally dead, they end up in the FIRST at 30 twitch show, and now this…

usually we’re too busy trying to remove them from videos cause they keep getting claimed.

Judge for yourselves! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTZm8h_gvME

1 Like