FIRST on TV

Which would you rather see FIRST on?

i voted for ESPN.

wouldn’t it be cool for them to say"for more log onto first.espn.com" :smiley: :cool: :smiley:

first.espn.com …that sounds really cool

Disney: Younger viewers, greater chance of interest. Right?

that may be true, but ESPN has more viewers and you want to get out to all auidences…not just children

*Originally posted by D.J. Fluck *
**that may be true, but ESPN has more viewers and you want to get out to all auidences…not just children **

like those big time corporate sponsors. what 234 needs right now!!!

ABC reaches more people than any of the others, with more diversity in the viewing audience. I don’t watch espn that much, and when i do, its just glimpsing at soccer results. ABC and ABC Family reaches pretty much the entire world. It just seems smarter to me
~Bobb
Team 804

What about TLC or a Turner channel? Turners are good to be on, but I guess I must chose ESPN of the given choices. Think about it: highlights, scores, play of the day… FIRST could get in on that. It would rock!
P.S. I’m not so sure about this but I don’t get NASA TV so maybe others don’t.

I voted for ABC… you have to remember: How much of the core ESPN audience would watch a FIRST event when they could be watching BattleBots, or hockey, or football, or rugby, or so on…

ABC gets the whole family involved, and that is a good thing in the end… Every TV station, with the possible exception of CBS, has a target audience of 18-24… ABC targets programming for everyone, I believe the accurate range was something like 8-48 or something like that, I’m rounding… Not many corporate bigwigs are in the 18-24 age range…

I’m being analytical again… Bad me, bad…

I voted for ABC…if u think about it…ABC is HUGE. Plus you dont have to have cable television to get it so more people would have the chance to see it.

:slight_smile:

I think that FIRST should be shown on ABC because every one with a TV gets it. I know for a fact that not to many people get NASA TV and people would get pissed if they went with ESPN. I wouldn’t mind so much if it went to Disney, because I get the Disney Chanel, but many don’t. So if FIRST goes anywhere, I say it should go to ABC.

Originally posted by Carolyn Duncan *
** What about TLC or a Turner channel? Turners are good to be on.

The reason ESPN, ABC, and Disney Channel were the choices is because all three of them are all together in one company…

You forgot PBS… The British version of Robot Wars was on PBS before any of the majors picked up on the robotics as a spectator sport. What about the web casts? They’re not intened solely for FIRST people and the potential audience may not be as big as the networks, but they’re global. While the major networks are tempting, don’t forget that they are after market share (and advertising $$$). It makes crazy things happen in the college sports that are televised so dream, but be careful what you wish for.
(Hey… will there be action figures of FIRST robots??? How about MENTOR action figures??? Cool!!!)

Steve Alaniz (MENTOR)

“… Why do they call it “prime time” when it’s so second rate?” - Ted Forth

Unfortunately, ABC and ESPN and the Disney Channel would first have to want to broadcast FIRST. In this case, the networks are in control. I personally just hope a network picks up FIRST.

Matt

*Originally posted by Clark Gilbert *
**…Plus you dont have to have cable television to get it so more people would have the chance to see it.

:slight_smile: **
I forgot about that. I guess channels like CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, and UPN would be a better target for a FIRST broadcast.

*Originally posted by D.J. Fluck *

The reason ESPN, ABC, and Disney Channel were the choices is because all three of them are all together in one company… **

The thing about that is if one doesn’t want to cover the others won’t. That was the reason for my mentioing the other stations.

we do realize that disney operates 3 of those 4 channels right?

personally i’d be glad to see the competition broadcast on any channel, hasnt it been a few years since it has been? being on the news is great, but id like to see coverage like espn2’s in '94

I voted for ABC for the simple reason that virtually everyone in the US and many in Canada can receive it. You don’t need any of these ‘optional at $40/month extra cost’ services like cable or satellite dish to receive ABC.

It turns out that ESPN used to broadcast Nationals but has apparently lost interest. They had an hour broadcast in '96 to '98 and maybe some earlier years, but for whatever reason, these broadcasts stopped. The broadcasts were aired months after the competition, but it was really cool to see them if you were there. I suspect that maybe most of those who watched it were people who were there, which severely limits the audience size.

I think that the best station would be ABC. It is a free station available to all. If we had a choice, a PBS station would be another good choice too. But we do not, so I guess any station is good.

TEAM 88    MOE     :)

I agree with Moe. DEFINITELY ABC, if not a PBS channel (which surprisingly was not offered as an option).

Curiously, ABC was the ONLY open broadcast channel given in the survey. The rest are cable channels.

Showing the competitions on a broadcast station would give FIRST by far the widest potential exposure.

People are commenting on which cable channel more of <this> demographic watches. It’s easy to forget a LOT of people still do not HAVE cable or satellite TV due to lack of availability, housing or community zoning rules against dishes, or the outrageous cost many monopoly providers charge. Many can’t receive anything BUT broadcast TV.

For instance, I don’t have either cable or a dish here. I only receive broadcast TV, but would definitely watch a FIRST competition if offered “on the REAL air”.

It doesn’t matter to me which broadcast station airs it, but ABC was the only survey choice. I would think PBS would be a natural match if the Disney empire doesn’t want dibs on it.

• Keith

Keith McClary, Advisor
    Ann Arbor MI Huron High Team 830 “Rat Pack”