FIRST Robotics Competition Team 5817 "Uni-Rex" 2016 Robot Reveal: Ankylosaurus

FRC Team 5817 “Uni-Rex” is proud to present our FIRST Stronghold robot, Ankylosaurus.

This robot is the result of over 2000 hours of student time, and we are very proud of our team for getting this done in our first official year with FRC.

None of this would be possible without our parents and mentors, as well as our sponsors: POM Wonderful, ADCO, Sanger Unified School District, Sanger High School, SunBurst, Solidworks, Cap’s Coating, and Electric Motor Shop, as well as many other generous donors.

Our robot is made almost entirely of 18 gauge, black powder coated stainless steel, with some custom designed 3D-printed parts.

You can watch our official reveal video here.

You can watch some additional footage here and here.

And just for reference, this is what an Ankylosaurus looks like.

http://sites.psu.edu/kateyorko/wp-content/uploads/sites/31945/2015/10/ankylosaurus.jpg

Woah!

This looks so impressive from a rookie team! That shooter is so powerful :eek:

A rookie team… Finished robot that can complete major tasks of the game with 17 days to spare. With a functional swerve drive. Am I overreacting or is this possibly the best rookie team ever? :eek:

(Not to mention the gorgeous anodizing).

It is clear from the video that you have an Omnidirectional Drive, from the pictures and video I can’t quite tell what it is can you elaborate?

Very neat. How are you getting so much power out of 2 cims for the shooter though?

We are using a 4-wheel swerve drive based off of 221’s Revolution swerve. All the parts were sourced by the team and built in-house. They have worked pretty well so far. :slight_smile:

Baby swerve modules (and our offseason robot in the corner).

We are running a MiniCIM on each side, geared up at a 2:1 ratio. It puts the motors near the peak of their power curve, and we have seen up to 7000 RPM on the output.

We have a swerve drive setup with skids designed into the frame to allow us to climb over the defenses.

We are actually only running mini cims, we went through several prototypes getting the most powerful shot we could.

Really impressive, especially for a rookie team. My only worry is your shot may be too powerful, if you hit the top of the goal it may bounce out even with the chains.

Just out of curiosity, how is this calculated?

Also, in regards to your drive train, how many of the defenses can it cross?

We have students log in and log out at each meeting. We have 12-15 active members, each put in up to 200 hours.

We can cross all of the defenses including the low bar, although some are more difficult (a result of using 3.25" wheels). The ramparts are the toughest for us, although we only began testing on it yesterday, so that could change. I don’t have any video to show you as of now, so you’ll just have to take my word for it. :smiley:

6 of the defenses are very easy for us to accomplish. The two easiest by far are the low bar and rockwall. The remaining 3 defenses are more difficult. However we have successfully driven over them it takes some driving practice to know how to approach each one. We have a practice bot that will allow our drivers to work on practice more and more after bag and tag. As well as finalize our auto.

I don’t think that bouncing out will be a problem, we have noticed that the balls lose a lot of their energy after hitting an object. And the spin will help it go in the down direction.

That looks great, what the experience level of your mentors on staff? I see some old school design features in the robot. :stuck_out_tongue:

They are an offshoot of 1671.

We have two mentors with >5 years of participation in FRC. They have been a huge help with the organization and planning behind the team.

Both me and our other mentor were, at one point in time, mentors for team 1671 for several years. But since then we have left to help start up this rookie team in Sanger, CA.

That being said, 5817 is not an offshoot of 1671.

Although we are around 30 minutes from 1671’s shop. 5817 has received no help from 1671 this season. We wanted to be sure that we stayed independent of all veteran teams nearby. We have some great teams in our area as well (1671, 1323, 3970). As mentors we wanted the students to work and have their success be truly “their” success. We did not want to go to an event and have people say “that rookie team is good because of this team”.

1671 is definitely a great team, and having a world champion in our area is great for the central valley of California. We are looking forward to the honor of competing with several world champs at the central valley regional. And earning our spot in our local community.

Was that the Bench Grinder at 0:45? :smiley:

It kind of looks like 1671’s bench grinder :wink:

Bailey its not fair to compare them to 2056 since all tree of those wins are with 1114.

Great job for a rookie team, hell of alot better then some teams I know.

While they did pair up with another (very) strong team, that shouldn’t take away from 2056’s accomplishments. They were Rank 5 at their first event ever, and Rank 1 at their second and Rank 15 in their division*. A rookie team was in a position to pick 1114, that’s an accomplishment. We would consider them stupid or egotistical for not picking them.

What if 5817 goes to CVR and gets picked 1st overall by 254? Are we going to take away 5817’s accomplishments of being 1st overall pick at a very strong event because 254 picked them? I hope not. 2056 set a standard for what rookies can accomplish. 5817 could very well do the same, but we can’t evaluate their rookie season just on the basis of their reveal.

It is, however, a HUGE accomplishment to complete that quality of a robot in a rookie season, no matter how experienced the mentors are. Color me impressed. From one rookie to another, I hope we see you at Championships, you clearly deserve to be there :slight_smile:

*Yes, I do know that 2007 had the weird match paring algorithm that could help strong young teams. It’s still an incredible accomplishment.