FIRST Robots: Behind the Design - Lunacy

Hello,

Someone knows if this year the book FIRST Robots: Behind the Design will be published?

Thank you!

Nope, sorry. It hasn’t been done since the 2007 game, and it was called out in the Manual both times it happened. Not sure why it isn’t being done anymore, because FRC teams really like it…

I too loved the books. We bought lots, to keep, donate, give as prizes etc.

Surely there can only be one reason they aren’t doing it… They didn’t sell enough to make it worth the effort.

Is there any reason why we couldn’t continue the legacy of Behind the Design as a community project?

I really like that idea, that could be a great team project or fundraiser

Maybe some teams could be responsable by organize the informations about their robots and upload here as a paper. So a specific person or team could be responsable by join these informations, edit and build the book content.

I don’t know if this is possible but I think that, if we organize, would be a very useable job for all FIRST teams.

If a book happens, it’ll happen in the same time frame as the other two. Both the Aim High and Rack n Roll books came out more than a year after their respective championships, so if there is a Lunacy book (based on the posts in this thread, not too likely) it would come out around or after May 2010.

I just bought both books last week. They’re really high quality, though I think I would have gone for fewer robots and a bit more detail on the robots that were chosen.

I know what you mean, i have them both and i wish they had a little more detail too, but i guess if you are the team you dont want to give away all the information on your v6, or swerve drives as the next year you will have a bunch of impostor robots.

So right now we should be looking for the overdrive book this summer.
lunacy wouldn’t come out until after the next nationals. It would be difficult to make right now because the awards have not even been given out yet.

Why does it have to be a book. Why not make it all online?

exactly an e-book (pdf even) would be an awesome resource.

Maybe we can get the winning teams to write there own biographys, they could put them up as a white paper and consolidate them all.

OR like the Unsung first heros, if you believe you have something special different, etc. you can write it up, or make a presentation and it can be be put into a showcase like the Unsung FIRST Heros.

Here’s the answer from the author: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=734575&postcount=17

It would be nice, (& also able to be very streamlined), to just get a copy of the awards speeches that are announced before ALL these awards (whether they be technical, or even the team & individual awards such as C/A, WFFA, or EI) at competitions, & then have those write-ups released as an online e-book of them all with pictures of the robots and/or teams & individuals involved (for the WFFAs).
This would greatly improve the documentation of not only who won an award for a certain year, but also why they won it for anyone who is interested - which is exactly what the FIRST Robots: Behind The Design books did for the technical awards.

If only one day we could be that organized! :slight_smile:

Maybe we can start one regional at a time, & then over time, collaborate between all of the regionals & the championship event for one mass publication.

Hmm… sounds like quite the ambitious project - but I think it can be accomplished with some good planning.

I had a plan to do this last year. Bascially, I was writing a specialized wiki program specifically for robot articles. However, work and school got in the way of completing the project (I was essentially writing MediaWiki - not the easiest of tasks). Later, I determined that the difference between my software (DRD, as I was calling it) and MediaWiki was significantly smaller than the similarity; so, I halfway hatched a plan to just customize MediaWiki. Then, university started…

Anyway, going fully online offeres some significant advantages over a purely text-based system. Image notes (like on Flickr) come to mind for better captioning of photos. The Web also offers a better ability to link to resources and references. For example, if a team makes something using Kalman filters, they could link to a site discussing the theoretical basis for Kalman filters instead of cluttering the article with overly technical explanations. (A real world example would be team 121 linking to http://mizugaki.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/staff/hori/paperPDF/EV_Trans.pdf) Online resources also allow for video, and downloadable content (such as CAD files for a swerve module or gearbox).

Team 1086 was published in FIRST Behind the Design 2: Rack N Roll. They discontinued the books because not enough were purchased to cover costs of making them. At least that is what we were told because we tried to purchase as many as possible for gifts, giveaways, and so on.

Cephatron did for this year a little book contenting all informations about our robot.

We gave this book for the judges and for some teams in LA regional.
At the moment, I haven’t it in .pdf, but I’m trying to contact the responsable by your edition in order to achieve an .pdf file of it.

I took a picture of the book and as soon as possible I will post all content.

The pic is attached!

At the moment, the list of teams that won awards related to the robot is below:
Of these teams, which would like to provide their information’s robot?

BAE Granite State:

Imagery : #175
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #166
Xerox Creativity: #811
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1073
General Motors Industrial Design: #121
Motorola Quality #20

Buckeye

Imagery : #63
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #2051
Xerox Creativity: #1787
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #2399
General Motors Industrial Design: #1038
Motorola Quality #1319

Greater Kansas City

Imagery : #1986
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1764
Xerox Creativity: #1108
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1448
General Motors Industrial Design: #1806
Motorola Quality #935
Midwest**

Imagery : #1024
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #217
Xerox Creativity: #2358
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1732
General Motors Industrial Design: #1114
Motorola Quality #111

New Jersey

Imagery : #816
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #41
Xerox Creativity: #708
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #293
General Motors Industrial Design: #1218
Motorola Quality #422

Oklahoma

Imagery : #2352
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1742
Xerox Creativity: #2354
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #2165
General Motors Industrial Design: #1742
Motorola Quality #2773

Washington DC

Imagery : #2068
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #234
Xerox Creativity: #1731
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #339
General Motors Industrial Design: #45
Motorola Quality #118

Boston

Imagery : #155
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #157
Xerox Creativity: #2079
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #125
General Motors Industrial Design: #190
Motorola Quality #1153

Finger Lakes

Imagery : #522
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #188
Xerox Creativity: #378
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #174
General Motors Industrial Design: #1507
Motorola Quality #610

Oregon

Imagery : #2517
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #192
Xerox Creativity: #2046
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1983
General Motors Industrial Design: #2471
Motorola Quality #2122

San Diego

Imagery : #2029
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1011
Xerox Creativity: #1527
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1388
General Motors Industrial Design: #968
Motorola Quality #1622

New York City

Imagery : #354
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1155
Xerox Creativity: #271
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #237
General Motors Industrial Design: #2753
Motorola Quality #56

Dallas

Imagery : #2352
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1817
Xerox Creativity: #2468
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #476
General Motors Industrial Design: #704
Motorola Quality #148

Florida

Imagery : #1885
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1557
Xerox Creativity: #2425
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #25
General Motors Industrial Design: #1144
Motorola Quality #79

Los Angeles

Imagery : #399
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1860
Xerox Cretivity: #1388
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1726
General Motors Industrial Design: #1717
Motorola Quality #207

Peachtree

Imagery : #900
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1771
Xerox Cretivity: #343
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1746
General Motors Industrial Design: #342
Motorola Quality #1319

Pittsburgh

Imagery : #379
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #2614
Xerox Cretivity: #1629
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #1218
General Motors Industrial Design: #2399
Motorola Quality #291

Silicon Valley

Imagery : #1280
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #1458
Xerox Cretivity: #1700
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #604
General Motors Industrial Design: #192
Motorola Quality #254

Wisconsin

Imagery : #2116
Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control: #269
Xerox Cretivity: #1024
Delphi Driving Tomorrows: #141
General Motors Industrial Design: #2970
Motorola Quality #2062

I have tons of time, have written with SERVO Magazine (and have contacts in there still!) and know how to put up a website. We could organize a team and start the Behind The Design project all up again, eBook style (or maybe even write summaries for an article or two in SERVO Magazine).

Your magazine comments lead me to this. I think this could work best for a magazine to pick up the publication. Every month there would be a FIRST Robot featured, with a write up similar to the way the book was done. For the magazine, you would have a bunch of FIRSTers subscribing to see who the next robot would be, and for FIRST it would be promoting the program to technical professionals that receive the magazine. Seems like a win win to me.

The question is, which magazine would be best?

popular mechanics…
has done a couple of articles featuring FIRST robots…