FIRST TV Ad?!?!?

I just got a text from my mom saying she saw an ad for FIRST on TV this morning! She described it as “Talking about kids getting ahead in math and science. It had a blackish background with USFirst in blue and red. Showed some kids briefly.”

Has anyone else seen this ad, or know if it’s available online somewhere? I looked at FIRST’s site and on google and youtube, but couldn’t find anything…

The only one I know about is the Time Warner Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbUj7hj4_nI)

Your mom’s no liar. Connect A Million Minds uploaded this to their YouTube account less than an hour ago, luckily I’m subscribed to it ;): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXB_Ujj9c0. Looks like a nice new FIRST commercial! Time Warner Cable was a part of this one too. As of now it only has 4 views…and I viewed it at least twice :p. Let’s see how many views we can make it get! I just posted a link to it on our team’s Facebook page :smiley: .

I’ve seen an ad ran on Discovery (I think) a couple times, but it seems rare. It was not Time Warner sponsored if I remember correctly, probably because they wouldn’t run a TW commercial on non-TW cable. But I remember it mainly showing some FTC teams competing. I think the commercial just ended by showing the FIRST logo on a black background.

I’ve seen a couple of Connect a Million Minds FIRST commercials.

seen it, I absolutely loved it

There is one that plays on discovery channels and is sponsored by discovery Canada. I think Simbot SS is on it.

I do remember seeing that one back in 2010 or 2011.

I might be behind. I stopped watching discovery after the Ice Road Pickers Alaska cab fishing epidemic :slight_smile:

Well, when I first opened it just now, it had (no joke) …

http://i.imgur.com/byHx7bB.png

… wait …

… what witchcraft is this!?! Anyway, does anyone know where this was built?

After a video reaches 301 views, YouTube starts to check to make sure that all the views are “real” views. This process takes a little while to get started. It used to just list the number of views as 301 until it was ready to start counting again, but now they added the plus sign so it isn’t as misleading.
(Note: I learned about this stuff a while ago, so some of this information may not be 100% accurate. But it’s is atleast the general sentiment of 301+).

Why 301? Well it was supposed to be 300, but whoever programmed it said to start checking views when viewCount > 300, when he should has made it start when viewCount >= 300.

See, this post did have relevance to robotics. The lesson is know when to use >/<, and when to use >=/<=

Yep.

Check out the Google 301 hits video on the numberphile channel.

Everyone who has a Facebook account share the video and be sure to add the #OMGROBOTS tag when you do. One more way to make FIRST** LOUD**

Oh, that’s where I learned this stuff from! I knew it was from some youTube video but I couldn’t remember who the video was made by.

All credit for that last post goes to numberphile. Here is the link the video. Great YouTube channel.

Our Team Captain, Emma Dumont, is in that PSA! She is right in the middle of the group sitting in front of the fire. The commercial was filmed at Lake Piru, in the mountains north of Los Angeles.

There were several other FIRST students involved (I believe from FRC 1138 and/or 1197) in the filming. The tech crew was moving very slowly on constructing the USFIRST.ORG LED letters, so the FRC students begged to help. The production team finally allowed the students to pitch in, and in true FRC form, they very efficiently assembled several of the letters.

Hopefully, students involved in the commercial will relate their experiences here in CD!

[quote=David Brinza;1279887The tech crew was moving very slowly on constructing the USFIRST.ORG LED letters, so the FRC students begged to help. The production team finally allowed the students to pitch in, and in true FRC form, they very efficiently assembled several of the letters.[/quote]
Dave,
When I read this, I was immediately reminded of Dave Lavery’s speech at Championship this year. For those of you who missed it, Dave talked about several project discussions at NASA recently where the project teams all responded they could finish up in about six weeks. When Dave questioned that he was reminded that their were former FRC students on all of the teams and they are trained to get it done in six weeks.[/quote]