Fisher Price & Shafts...

Posted by Anton Abaya at 1/21/2001 5:56 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

hey guys,

i just wanted to know what you guys have done in the past to mount a shaft to the gear box of the fisher price motors…

thanks…

-anton

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 1/21/2001 7:41 PM EST

Other on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: Fisher Price & Shafts…
Posted by Anton Abaya on 1/21/2001 5:56 PM EST:

Good question. I was wondering ways of doing so myself.

Patrick

: hey guys,

: i just wanted to know what you guys have done in the past to mount a shaft to the gear box of the fisher price motors…

: thanks…

: -anton

Posted by Michael Ciavaglia at 1/22/2001 7:11 AM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Interior Systems.

In Reply to: Re: Fisher Price & Shafts…
Posted by Patrick Dingle on 1/21/2001 7:41 PM EST:

Last year we initially used the non-standard shaft that comes with the units. That shaft caused me immense pain and suffering.

My recommendation is to get rid of the odd ball shaft. Use a 1/2" shaft. You will need to bore out the plastice housing so the shaft will fit through. We welded a sproket to a thin plate of aluminum and then screwed this to the removeable black plastic “top hat”. If memory serves correct, I think we put a bushing on the back side of the housing to hold it centered to the shaft. We also had a bushing between the sproket/plate and the shaft.

This worked quite well and we were pretty happy and did not have to address issue again.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike C.

Posted by JVN at 1/23/2001 11:41 AM EST

Student on team #250, GE Dynamos - Capital District Robotics Team, from Shenendehowa High School and General Electric.

In Reply to: No Fisher Price Shafts Here
Posted by Michael Ciavaglia on 1/22/2001 7:11 AM EST:

: My recommendation is to get rid of the odd ball shaft. Use a 1/2" shaft. You will need to bore out the plastice housing so the shaft will fit through. We welded a sproket to a thin plate of aluminum and then screwed this to the removeable black plastic “top hat”. If memory serves correct, I think we put a bushing on the back side of the housing to hold it centered to the shaft. We also had a bushing between the sproket/plate and the shaft.

We did something similar to this and it worked fairly well. Once again Chief Delphi proves to have all the answers…

~John #250