Flanged Roller Bearings

Do these exist in commercial production? I have seen them on many auto parts, but have not found them on the usual suppliers websites.
They are essentially a roller bearing that functions on a conical surface, so they can handle side and thrust loads (the trust loads being in one direction).
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Do you mean like 5709K14 on mcmaster?

http://www.mcmaster.com/library/20070417/5709K140L.GIF

Search mcmaster.

The site does have flanged ball bearings, but I have not seen flanged roller bearings on Mcmaster.

However, if you’re looking for what AdamHeard posted, search for “tapered roller bearings” on Mcmaster. These are designed to handle thrust and radial loads.

On McMaster-Carr search for “Ball Bearing”, follow link to “Ball and Roller Bearing” then “Ball Bearing”. There are the Flanged Ball Bearings.

he wants a flanged Roller bearing not ball bearing

i can say i’ve seen flanged roller bearings in anything, i might just not remember though

There are flanged roller bearings, such as those from SKF, but they look like bolt-on assemblies, unlike the regular small ball bearings with a tiny lip or locating ring to help with lateral location in a hole.

What, exactly, is the application in this case? That would be helpful to know. There are also angular bearings in both single and double-row that are designed to take end thrust as well as radial loads.

Remember, though timken bearings have ENORMOUS thrust as well as axial loading capabilities, there are some quirks about them i’ve found through a project I worked on recently.

Tapered roller bearings increase their resistance to rolling at a higher rate than a roller bearing does. Also remember that if using these bearings in a sideways orientation, the bearing won’t stay together on it’s own like a ball bearing would. Your design needs to allow for some kind of bearing captivation so that the shaft holds the bearing in it’s ring.

Things I’m impressed with: Insanely little slop even with no pre-loading. I used a pair of 5.25" diameter Timken tapered roller bearings for a rotary pallet changer with an outside diameter of about 48". Even at the furthest reach of the the turn table, even without preload, there was only a few tenth thousandths of slop. About a hundred pounds of pre-loading corrected that… so in the end there was no detectable slop in the bearings even out at 24" away from the axle. While I was only after high rigidity in this application, a by-product of this was a load capacity about ten-fold that (balanced load) of which it needed to hold. In fact, I figured out the bearing pair I had made up could spin my car around, provided that it didn’t have any gas in it. Timkens are really awesome in very high load applications as well as high-accuracy applications.

I have no practical experience with straight-roller bearings so… somebody else will have to pick up there.

-q

I was just considering using them as a bearing for a crab drive module, able to handle the weight of the robot, side loads form impacts and pushing as well as the rotation of the module itself. It would be useful to have all of this accomplished with one mechanism, instead of having to add weight and complexity using 2 types of bearings.

Interesting idea… but if you used taper-roller bearings you’ll still need two bearings. But, the nice thing is, if you use a taper-roller and a straight roller bearing together, the taper roller bearing can be a good size (to handle the weight), but the straight roller bearing could be a very small one, i’d guess you could go down to something like a 1/4~3/8" shaft at the top of your drive modules. In the end, I think that combination of bearings will still beat out two big ball bearings for weight/performance.

Just remember, the only thing that holds taper bearings together is force, they don’t stay together on their own and only bear thrust load in one direction.

Please pursue this, I’d love to see what you come up with cad wise. Way to think outside the ball bearing!

-q

Just some clarification in that you will need to design in a method of adjustment for the tapered roller bearing, and be able to maintain this adjustment. A castle nut/cotter pin configuration such as found on older vehicle front wheel bearings are a common design solution. The race portion of the bearing is usually press fit into a bore with a shoulder to set the race spacing. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: