Flashing lights at Worlds

Has everyone at Worlds noticed the flashing lights at all the fields (except Newton and Carver) before the game started? Does anyone know why they did it? Did something break or did they just decide to have a “light show?”

16 Likes

100%.

They did this the day before
They should have put up some sort of warning, with all the people here there has to be a few people that have issues with photosensitivity/seizures.

From my perspective these lights do not add any real value. This will be on my feedback to FIRST when they send out that email.

41 Likes

They did the same thing yesterday too, even though it’s not being done in the Newton division we can see the lights flashing from the other divisions and it’s really annoying. Definitely a problem too since there are people who have issues with flashing lights like that.

8 Likes

It’s an attention getting tactic from my understanding. And I agree that they should warn about it if not completely cut that out

2 Likes

Have epilepsy, am at champs. Can guarantee I am not the only one.

22 Likes

It is genuinely getting worse. This is not attention getting, this is making people leave the venue. This is not okay for people with epilepsy and photosensitivity issues. FIRST NEEDS to hear about this because if they want to promote inclusivity, they need it for all people in attendance.

17 Likes

Even people without sensitivity like this are complaining, it sucks to watch it. Sure it looks cool and all but it hurts to watch it and is way overzealous

11 Likes

There are ways to achieve cool light effects without using LED strobes that are all around the screens we have to watch to see the action. This is really unacceptable.

12 Likes

Yikes. I had a kid leave over this, and I’m sitting in the pits. Can’t deal with the lights

10 Likes

As someone watching from home. The lights are absolutely killing me. It is not necessary at all.

2 Likes
Content Warning: Flashing Lights

20220423_160336

I have an insanely bad headache…

15 Likes

Thanks, me too now

7 Likes

Our drive coach has a neurological disorder that is highly affected by strobing lights. If we had made it to Einstein (very unlikely, but still) it’s possible we wouldn’t have been able to play due to the constant strobing of the lights. We’ve requested to Pit Admin and members of the AV crew and the best response we got was for them to “close their eyes”. These lights are unnecessary, and just downright annoying for almost anyone regardless of epilepsy or other conditions. FIRST needs to listen.

39 Likes

Yeah, the lights are extremely obnoxious. My team was given the option to head back to the hotel early, half of us did with the lights being the breaking point.

6 Likes

Can someone please cut Dean off

2 Likes

First time?

41 Likes

That edit is the best thing I’ve seen in a long time

2 Likes

These be rookie numbers.

29 Likes

As a lighting tech for a church, we DO NOT strobe lights. Anybody asks, I ask if known epileptics will be in attendance or watching and then shoot it down. And I have smoothes out visiting techs’ programs that run on the border.

And we still have cool lights when we want to.

NMIR and MIR would be appropriate here, IMO: MIR because of the lights, NMIR because of the response.

12 Likes

Haven’t been watching the stream, but I bet he was even sober this year

Not sure what there is to complain about

5 Likes