FLL Expert HelpLine - Looking for experts!

Hello everyone! A project my friend is working on needs more experts!

Part of the FLL competition is working on a project related to the topic that is changed annually. Students are asked to talk to at least two different experts, but many teams struggle to find even one expert to aid their team often just having to rely on who their parents and teachers know or just emailing people off the internet and hoping they answer. The relationships that students build with these experts are very important, so to help more teams get this experience, we are hoping to create a program to connect FLL teams with experts that have already expressed interest in helping students with these projects.

We are looking for a variety of experts (including non-STEM fields like politics, psychology, and health as projects can vary widely). Experts would be asked to correspond with a team through a series of emails which could include but are not limited to questions, proposals for innovations, and updates on the teams. The number of emails that are exchanged will depend on what the team needs and the amount of time you are willing to give. We will provide a middle person to help facilitate these conversations. There is no guarantee a team will contact you as we will try to match students to experts in their area of interest.

College (2020-2021 year) Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqZNA7L3T6Y620jqSeojZwrOv26LnzBJZxINbZkRIBWtwIQA/viewform

Expert/Professional Form:

Any chance the database from this form can be shared, so other FLL teams can use it?

This is an excellent idea. If you have a webpage for this (or want help making one) please let me know and I’d be happy to market it on my site and send it to my mailing list.

@Starlight220 Right now the database is not being shared publically because of access to people’s emails and such. If you’d like to be added to the matching program you can email mthrolson@wpi.edu.

@jaredhk There isn’t a website yet, but there is a Facebook page here if you’d like a direct link to post places.

1 Like

I am currently not mentoring a FLL team (and I probably won’t next year either), but I’ll send a link to this topic to one of the FLL mentors in my school.

Just to clear up a few things: is the goal in this to make the “talking to experts” part of the FLL research project easier?

Yes, this is for the talking to experts portion. Sorry if that wasn’t clear originally!