"Floating" Bumper Segment

The current design of our robot includes a bumper segment that is not attached to a corner (see image). This is to provide clearance for a mechanism when extended while keeping most of the bumper to align game pieces to an intake. The floating segment, as well as the corner pieces on that side, are >6 in, and all of the bumpers are fully backed by the robot frame. I’ve read through the bumper rules multiple times and I don’t see anything that would disallow this, but I’ve never seen it done before and I just want to make sure.

This should be fine by my reading of the rules. I’ve only been a robot inspector for one year, so I could easily be overruled by someone with more experience, but I believe the only requirements around frame perimeter is to cover >6" of all corners, which it looks like you have covered.

2 Likes

This is allowed by the rules as I’ve read them. You should be fine as long as the robot frame is behind the “floating” piece.

1 Like

It’s been done multiple times in the pnw before (not adding to the legality part of the conversation, I’m sorry, but I just wanted to share):

3 Likes

Agreed. Since the top section of bumper is legal (R401), any “floating” bumper piece should be legal as long as it complies with R410

1 Like

The concept is legal. It needs to be rigidly attached to the robot. I would not refer to as floating since it should not move relative to the robot.

1 Like

Great photo, perfectly illustrates the point!

1 Like