floor protection

Just a quick question. How did you guys protect the floor a little better this year?

There are concerns from the school, and we are trying to figure out a way to cover the floor under the playing field a little better.

Any Ideas? Do you think it will be that bad for the floor for this year’s game? Just think of so many robots being tipped over from the ramp.

My school has a plastic tarp thing that they put on the floor for dances and stuff and i think that would work for what youre talking about

At IRI, we have traditionally used large gym tarps to cover the floor. We put these under the carpet too. In the area around the ramp, we will probably overlap the tarps to get extra protection.

Having these tarps diminishes the aestetics of the pit areas, but they do provide protection from damaging a nice hardwood gym floor.

Usually the school has some sort of tarp to cover their floor… or another school will be willing to donate a tarp. For IRI, we get tarps from the host gym and from the generous Purdue-West Lafayette HS team to bring tarps.

Andy B.

Last year at brunswick eruption, we took advantage of NASA’s Field, and the carpet came already attahed to blockes of plywood, so that protected the area of the playing feild, and below that i wanna say it was called lucenite( i dont know if thats wha it is called, Dupont would know better) and then below that was tarps

If I were you, see if you could hunt down some Wrestling Mats. That would probably hold up well against damage.

*Originally posted by GregTheGreat *
**If I were you, see if you could hunt down some Wrestling Mats. That would probably hold up well against damage. **
wrestling matcher are like padded rubber, not gonna hold up well with people in the pits practicing with their robot :wink:

Talk to the school. If they hold events in teh gym they should have some type of mat to put down. Thats what are school has but liek to get the maintmence men to do it it cost us 500 bucks cause it takes them 3-4 hours to do it. And if they dont have ti you might be dead in teh water cause replacin gym floor is expensive

*Originally posted by Ryan_team710 *
**Talk to the school. If they hold events in teh gym they should have some type of mat to put down. Thats what are school has but liek to get the maintmence men to do it it cost us 500 bucks cause it takes them 3-4 hours to do it. And if they dont have ti you might be dead in teh water cause replacin gym floor is expensive **

Yup, that’s exactly the problem we are trying to figure out right now. The High school doesn’t have any mats. And renting them are expensive, I heard…

In 1997 we held the West Michigan Invitational in Zeeland High’s brand new gym. Everyone was paranoid about us damaging the floor, so we were asked to do this: put down 1 layer of carpet upside down so the “good” side was in contact with the gym floor, then a layer of plywood, then another layer of carpet right side up. It was a pain to set up, but we were pretty confident that there wouldn’t be any floor damage. Plus, (if I remember correctly) we got some local stores to “loan” us the bottom layer carpet and plywood since we knew that it would still be in brand new condition when we were done with it.

Um we glued our carpet down to the floor… Oh wait that is right we don’t need to worry about that cause we dont use the school for practice.

Last year, we put down 4’ x 8’ sheets of masonite over the gym floor. For robot paths and walkways, we used a combination of rubber matting (loaned from Team #341) and masonite sheets.

We purchased the masonite sheets from Home Depot. We have them in storage for this year’s event. These sheets were also used for Ramp Riot 2002 and the Brunswick Eruption last year. They held up fairly well.

*Originally posted by John Larock *
**Last year, we put down 4’ x 8’ sheets of masonite over the gym floor. For robot paths and walkways, we used a combination of rubber matting (loaned from Team 341) and masonite sheets.

We purchased the masonite sheets from Home Depot. We have them in storage for this year’s event. These sheets were also used for Ramp Riot 2002 and the Brunswick Eruption last year. They held up fairly well. **

That’s one of the best parts of having nearby offseason competitions… All of the teams swap around and share resources. Without that, competitions such as Ramp Riot and the Duel on the Delaware wouldn’t be possible.

We um just laid down the carpet and plopped the field on that…

Good enough for us

Who cares about our high school gym floor anyway???

*Originally posted by “Big Mike” *
**…below that i wanna say it was called lucenite( i dont know if thats wha it is called, Dupont would know better)… **

It’s Lucite… It’s the brand name for Acrylic before the patent expired.

Just like Lexan is the brand name for polycarb. When the patent expired other people have to call it polycarb.

As I have been told, Lexan is not a patent, its a brand name/trademark of polycarbonate from General Electric Plastics, polycarbonate is the name of the type of plastic and Lexan is the trade mark of GE.
~Mike

You are correct about LEXAN.

However, what was laid on the floor was MASONITE, not Lucenite or LEXAN (or any other derivative). Lexan is expensive. Putting sheets of LEXAN on the floor would protect it, but at a huge cost. We spent a few hundred dollars and purchased about 70 4’ by 8’ sheets of masonite.

If a simple tarp will work for you and your school already has one for your gym and is okay with just a tarp, that is the best option.

We used the NASA Goddard Field for the Duel and Ramp Riot and the Brunswick Eruption last year. Teams 365/316, 341, 25/303 shared the field, the rubber matting (341 owned) and the masonite (365/316 owned). We also shared transportation costs. This made for a nice triad of competitions where, as OneAngryDaisy stated, we “shared the wealth.”

Since the NASA Goddard field came in square, carpeted pieces last year, we wanted some extra protection in case a robot stuck an appendage through the field. The gym for the Duel did not have a tarp and, based on the MD State Fair experiences, we wanted something a bit more structural to protect the gym floor [NOTE - BadBrad222 - if we damage the gym floor, we either pay big time or need to find another venue or both] We decided to put down sheets of masonite. They are fairly light, inexpensive, and can serve as sufficient protection.

For walking tracks and the pit area, we used rubber matting, which is VERY HEAVY, but is perfect for protection and non-slippage. The matting Wissahickon High Schoo has is perfect. You do need a number of people to carry the rolled up pieces of it. I would suggest at least two people per heavy roll, unless you are looking forward to hernia surgery.