Floppies and superheros

Posted by The Carter, Student on team #131, CHAOS, from Manchester Central High School and Osram Sylvania.

Posted on 3/14/99 3:52 PM MST

Just how does FIRST determine what is a damaged floppy
and what is not a damaged floppy? And the later the competition
goes on, will they replace the floppies that have been “broken in”
due to excessive use in competition?

Before I go, here is the fun question of the day. In the following
fight who would you take. Spiderman or Batman??.. and why would you
take that superhero??

Have a good one
Keep it easy

Dave Carter(just got done watchin some high quality cartoons)

Posted by Joe Johnson, Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/14/99 6:54 PM MST

In Reply to: Floppies and superheros posted by The Carter on 3/14/99 3:52 PM MST:

I’d have to go with Spiderman on that one, Dave. Batman has a bunch of nice hardware, but nothing beats that cool stuff Spiderman can throw at you.

As to floppy damage, yet another good question.

We got a warning in Philly just for driving over them! They were so full that they sometimes split at the seams when we would just run over the blasted things!

The warning was more or less taken back upon subsequent requests for clarification, but it shook us up a bit just the same.

So, FIRST, we know you are listening… …can you help us out here?

Joe J.

Posted by Greg Mills, Engineer on team #16, Baxter Bomb Squad, from Mountain Home and Baxter Healthcare.

Posted on 3/15/99 6:17 AM MST

In Reply to: Good questions posted by Joe Johnson on 3/14/99 6:54 PM MST:

What about floppies that are actually within the tight weight specification that was given in the manual? I know most teams went to alot of trouble to insure that they were designing for the correct floppies only to find that at the competition they weren't even close.

Posted by Raul, Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 3/15/99 6:30 AM MST

In Reply to: Good questions posted by Joe Johnson on 3/14/99 6:54 PM MST:

Joe,

How do you run over them without getting them stuck in your wheels or drive system?

Raul

: I’d have to go with Spiderman on that one, Dave. Batman has a bunch of nice hardware, but nothing beats that cool stuff Spiderman can throw at you.

: As to floppy damage, yet another good question.

: We got a warning in Philly just for driving over them! They were so full that they sometimes split at the seams when we would just run over the blasted things!

: The warning was more or less taken back upon subsequent requests for clarification, but it shook us up a bit just the same.

: So, FIRST, we know you are listening… …can you help us out here?

: Joe J.

Posted by Joe Johnson, Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/15/99 6:03 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Good questions posted by Raul on 3/15/99 6:30 AM MST:

Raul,

Nothing works 100% but we had alot less trouble in Philly.

Driver skill and a little better shielding made the difference between Chicago and Philly.

Who knows, we may even be as good as we imagined we’d be by the time we get to Florida :wink: ?

Honestly now, did any of you really thing that those slippery silk pillows of foam peanuts would cause your drive system the slightest bit of trouble?

I know that we spent about 10 seconds thinking about it, assured that it would be no problem! Now that we have our real drive system mixing it up with real floppies, hardly 10 seconds goes by WITHOUT us thinking about it !

Did anyone else miss this call as badly as we did?

Joe J.

Posted by Raul, Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 3/15/99 8:08 PM MST

In Reply to: Nothing works posted by Joe Johnson on 3/15/99 6:03 PM MST:

I hear you. We had shields on our wheels and they were working great while the floppies were nice and plump. By the quarterfinals they were so deflated that they were able to get under the 1/8" clearance we had under the shields. We spent 90% of our final match stuck on a floppy - I hate to lose that way.

But, just like you, I am always thinking about how to make this almost foolproof. Hopefully, we can think of some simple way to modify our shields by the nationals.

See you in Ypsi.

]Raul

: Raul,

: Nothing works 100% but we had alot less trouble in Philly.

: Driver skill and a little better shielding made the difference between Chicago and Philly.

: Who knows, we may even be as good as we imagined we’d be by the time we get to Florida :wink: ?

: Honestly now, did any of you really thing that those slippery silk pillows of foam peanuts would cause your drive system the slightest bit of trouble?

: I know that we spent about 10 seconds thinking about it, assured that it would be no problem! Now that we have our real drive system mixing it up with real floppies, hardly 10 seconds goes by WITHOUT us thinking about it !

: Did anyone else miss this call as badly as we did?

: Joe J.

Posted by Chris, Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monster, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

Posted on 3/15/99 4:04 PM MST

In Reply to: Floppies and superheros posted by The Carter on 3/14/99 3:52 PM MST:

Unfortunately, we only get to attend one regional this year, so I don’t know anything about the floppies – my regional is the Great Lakes which is in a week and a half.

About the superheroes:

Spiderman, no question. What it comes down to is that Spiderman actually has superpowers, like the strength per weight ratio of a spider, which is enormous. He could lift a car above his head if he wanted to. Batman, on the other hand, is nothing more than a mere mortal in pajamas with a few fancy gadgets. He does good against other mortals (like criminals), but is no match for a real superhero.

: Just how does FIRST determine what is a damaged floppy
: and what is not a damaged floppy? And the later the competition
: goes on, will they replace the floppies that have been “broken in”
: due to excessive use in competition?

: Before I go, here is the fun question of the day. In the following
: fight who would you take. Spiderman or Batman??.. and why would you
: take that superhero??

: Have a good one
: Keep it easy

: Dave Carter(just got done watchin some high quality cartoons)