Fluid power....? Just maybe

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

Posted on 12/2/2000 1:22 PM MST

I was checking out the FIRST site and noticed the link to ‘Interesting Websites’ at the bottom of the page was updated in November–

What was the newest link to? http://www.nfpa.com/

a.k.a. The National Fluid Power Association…

FIRST has something up their sleeves… maybe they’re trying to fool us… confuse us… challenge us…

hmm… how many days til kickoff? :wink:

Posted by Matt Leese.

Other on team #73 from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Rochester Institute of Technology.

Posted on 12/2/2000 2:01 PM MST

In Reply to: Fluid power…? Just maybe posted by colleen on 12/2/2000 1:22 PM MST:

Uh, we’ve always gotten fluid power in the kits. It’s just in the form of pneumatics (which is consider a fluid).

Matt

Posted by nick237.

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Posted on 12/2/2000 5:26 PM MST

In Reply to: Fluid power…? Just maybe posted by colleen on 12/2/2000 1:22 PM MST:

I dont think we have to worry about fluid actuated machines now or in the near future.
1- Fluids and electricity dont mix.
2- The weight of the robots would have to increase to accomodate the extra equipment and liquid.
3- Disney would have a fit if slippery liquids were spiled all over their nice green carpet at Epcot.
4- Danger of people falling while climbing in and out of arenas on spilled fluids.
5- Fluids and electricity dont mix.

: I was checking out the FIRST site and noticed the link to ‘Interesting Websites’ at the bottom of the page was updated in November–

: What was the newest link to? http://www.nfpa.com/

: a.k.a. The National Fluid Power Association…

: FIRST has something up their sleeves… maybe they’re trying to fool us… confuse us… challenge us…

: hmm… how many days til kickoff? :wink:

Posted by Mike Dubreuil.

Student on team #175, Buzz, from Enrico Fermi High School and UTC/Hamilton Sundstrand.

Posted on 12/4/2000 7:52 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Fluid power…? Just maybe posted by nick237 on 12/2/2000 5:26 PM MST:

No, I don't think they'll do it. Plus, the NFPA says Fluid Power is:

’ Fluid power is energy transmitted and controlled by means of a pressurized fluid, either liquid or gas. The term fluid power applies to both hydraulics and pneumatics. ’
I think it’s just a new pneumatics sponsor.

• Mike

: I dont think we have to worry about fluid actuated machines now or in the near future.
: 1- Fluids and electricity dont mix.
: 2- The weight of the robots would have to increase to accomodate the extra equipment and liquid.
: 3- Disney would have a fit if slippery liquids were spiled all over their nice green carpet at Epcot.
: 4- Danger of people falling while climbing in and out of arenas on spilled fluids.
: 5- Fluids and electricity dont mix.

: : I was checking out the FIRST site and noticed the link to ‘Interesting Websites’ at the bottom of the page was updated in November–

: : What was the newest link to? http://www.nfpa.com/

: : a.k.a. The National Fluid Power Association…

: : FIRST has something up their sleeves… maybe they’re trying to fool us… confuse us… challenge us…

: : hmm… how many days til kickoff? :wink:

Posted by Mike.

Other from Grandview Heights High School.

Posted on 12/6/2000 3:08 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Fluid power…? Just maybe posted by Mike Dubreuil on 12/4/2000 7:52 PM MST:

: No, I don’t think they’ll do it. Plus, the NFPA says Fluid Power is:
: ’ Fluid power is energy transmitted and controlled by means of a pressurized fluid, either liquid or gas. The term fluid power applies to both hydraulics and pneumatics. ’
: I think it’s just a new pneumatics sponsor.
: - Mike
:
Actually, I think you will be very surprised with what you will see this year. Fluid Power (Pnuematics) is a viable means of motion control. The program that FPDA has put together for this in conjunction with FIRST will bring new ideas to the forefront. Be sure to check out the websites at www.fpda.org, www.fpef.org, www.fps.org as well as www.nfpa.com. It will be good…
:
: : I dont think we have to worry about fluid actuated machines now or in the near future.
: : 1- Fluids and electricity dont mix.
: : 2- The weight of the robots would have to increase to accomodate the extra equipment and liquid.
: : 3- Disney would have a fit if slippery liquids were spiled all over their nice green carpet at Epcot.
: : 4- Danger of people falling while climbing in and out of arenas on spilled fluids.
: : 5- Fluids and electricity dont mix.

:
: : : I was checking out the FIRST site and noticed the link to ‘Interesting Websites’ at the bottom of the page was updated in November–

: : : What was the newest link to? http://www.nfpa.com/

: : : a.k.a. The National Fluid Power Association…

: : : FIRST has something up their sleeves… maybe they’re trying to fool us… confuse us… challenge us…

: : : hmm… how many days til kickoff? :wink:

Posted by Joe Perrotto.

Engineer on team #365, Miracle Workerz, from Delaware Explorers and Dupont.

Posted on 12/4/2000 5:17 AM MST

Maybe I can help clarify this issue. In mid- October, Team 365 and two other FIRST teams were invited to give a presentation to the Fluid Power Distributers Association (FPDA) national meeting in Philadelphia. The FPDA has decided that supporting FIRST is a great way to teach high school students about fluid power and they have put together a committee to develop a kit that teams can actually use. Although the the kit was not decribed in detail, here are some items that were mentioned:

• A specially built 10 amp compressor will be supplied
    (Before you ask, no, I don’t know the pressure or flow. But I think it is made by Thomas)
  • Bimba, along with some others, will supply any standard cylinder in their catalog within three days and specials in a week.
  • SMC is supplying valves, speed control, fittings, etc. that all fit together, guaranteed.
  • The kits are to be shipped out on Dec 9, and a training manual should be available on the FIRST website as well.

One more thing, the FPDA is encouraging their members, and there were several hundred at this meeting, to support their local FIRST teams. I recommend you find your local supplier and hit them up for sponsorship.

: I was checking out the FIRST site and noticed the link to ‘Interesting Websites’ at the bottom of the page was updated in November–

: What was the newest link to? http://www.nfpa.com/

: a.k.a. The National Fluid Power Association…

: FIRST has something up their sleeves… maybe they’re trying to fool us… confuse us… challenge us…

: hmm… how many days til kickoff? :wink: