Folding@Home team for FIRST

I recently downloaded F@H, and when I searched, I didn’t find a team for FIRST, so I made one:

Name: FIRST Folding
Number: 43672
Stats URL: http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=43672

Awesome! I suggest that everybody try and get their schools to let them run folding on their computers. I am running it on my media center pc (it’s on all the time… so why not?) But my school has 1000+ 2ghz machines that they keep on all night! Everybody, get your schools to participate! (and, of course, join this team!)

-Jordan

If you’ve got a PS3, be sure to download the folding@home software for it. The PS3’s cell processor REALLY shines when it comes to raw computing such as folding@home.

I don’t know what it is, but I’m in!:smiley:

It’s a distributed computing program to simulate protein folding. Proteins fold as part of their assembly, and the root of multiple diseases can be attributed to proteins that misfold. By simulating proper protein folding, as well as misfolding, we can learn more about the diseases that are caused by it. Problem is how much happens and how many calculations it takes – would take all of the supercomputers at Stanford a couple months to simulate one nanosecond of one protein folding. Since that’s not an option, they turned to distributing the computations – hence distributed computing. We’re donating cycles to the research.

i’m using my PS3 for this :slight_smile:

the PS3s are amazing for this. the Cell CPU was originally designed for processing various simulations like proteins and some other genetic simulations.

i just join the the FIRST folding team

I currently have my home machines dedicated to another team right now but as I can I am probably going to see if I can get the team computers to do some folding for the FIRST team

What’s even more amazing is how a Radeon X1900 is 2-3 times faster than a PS3 in terms of Folding output. (Not trying to start a flame war here, but it’s pretty insane)

But yeah, the PS3 is tearing up the Folding stats. 32992 PS3s output 4.6 times more than 183801 computers. :ahh:

I currently fold for team 32, but I will switch over :smiley: My stats: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=5219

If anyone knows of a proxy that works with Folding please let me know, I can get our Q6600 at school Folding then.

This seems like a good thing to try to get going again. I see there are a small number of people still on this team. I’m going to setup my machine to run the client and get started with this team.

Alright. Team 171 has started back up the Folding@Home FIRST Robotics Team!!! Lets get more people and computers involved

Name: FIRST Folding
Number: 43672
http://kakaostats.com/t.php?t=43672

Put some of those idle processing time to use to benefit Math and Science

Read more about it at: http://folding.stanford.edu/

This was a great idea, especially given the demographic of FIRST members. I’m glad someone started this :slight_smile:

Figured I’d bump this up because I’ve been contributing to the group for a while but it looks like participation has taken a dive (okay fine, it’s just me right now). The group is still up, the ID is still the same (43672), if you have some idle processing time feel free to contribute!

I’ve started my own computer onto this! (Since I’m too underpowered for bitcoin/dogecoin mining to be even remotely profitable… I am a poor shibe)

I wonder if you could use a C-Rio to do some folding?

Alright I figured I bump this again since FIRST is now ranking at 1327 of 220372. I wonder how much power is needed for us to push to become 1st?

A lot. Notice that numbe two is Google? Look at the points they have amd then at ours.

I do belive we passed 10 million or so points recently (can’t check right now, though), so that’s a very good achievement!

I have started my 2 Dell servers folding (No GPU pure CPU) with extra CPU cycles.

My Desktop will also be folding when it is on. Every little bit helps towards great cause.

I’m going to give this another bump since it’s been a couple years-- we’re still folding! Okay, fine, it’s down to just me again. Still, you can download the client software hereand join the FIRST Folding team (#43672). We’re currently ranked #693!

If you aren’t familiar with folding, it uses idle processing time on your computer to simulate protein folding. The project has also lead to over a hundred peer-reviewed research papers.