For the Alumni

Some how i feel i am stepping out of bounds here by posting this Poll but its dedicated to those who can answer it and have a love and respect for FIRST but just aren’t getting it all in return

I put this poll in response to this thread
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19310

If there any Comments… plz post

-Oscar-

the word “fed up” seem to harsh to describe the question…

More along the lines of are you happy with being a Alumni in FIRST

well i think i’m a little of both…

sometimes, I love being an alumni…cause its great, I love FIRST sooooo much…

but other times, i go to these events and meetings and I wanna beat up all the kids on the team now…cause they are sooooo stupid…like no one cares about anything and it just makes me so mad, cause when i was on the team it was all about cheering, getting things done, we all got along… its hard to look at a team that doesn’t get along and know that you can’t do anything about it, cause your not on the team anymore…you’re kinda just a bystander…

If you love FIRST and are feeling left out, I would recommend getting to know your region’s regional coordinators. They know what teams in the region need help, organize demos and such. You could also volunteer for FIRST, at the remote kickoffs, Lego League Tournaments, and the robotics regionals.

Go, talk to your regional coordinators. They work very hard and are very good at what they do, but always could use help.

FIRST is about learning and passing on that knowledge you have learned to others. I have been with the Miracle Workerz (Team 365) since their beginning in 2000. I was a student for two years and an alumni for two years (including this year). As as student, I remember being amazed that there are people in the world that give up so much of their time to help me, an annoying high school student about what they do full time. I thought a job was something that you had to do to get money so you could do things you wanted to do. FIRST helped me see that there is not only a job, but a career out there that is for me. Something that I would want to do because I enjoyed it. And that I would enjoy this career so much that I would be willing to help high school students follow in my footsteps.

Now that I am an alumni, I am beginning to see my dreams become a reality. The rookie students look up to me as a mentor, and the students that know me still think I’m that crazy high schooler. FIRST is something that I love doing. Not just taking time from engineers or teachers to advance myself, but also by giving my time and knowledge to the next generation of roboteers. I am now partially responsible for the way 34 students look at the world of science and engineering.

Of course the transition from student to alumni/mentor hasn’t been exactly flawless, but a jump like that in such a tightly woven group is sure to have its rough spots. Some of the engineers still see me as being just another punk high school kid, only bringing up my mentor status when I have done something stupid (yeah… we all do stupid things) and am supposed to be a role model for the students. But from that I have learned to take responsibility for my actions even if they aren’t completely my fault. This year I have been entrusted with being the coach for our competition team. I guess they think that because I was driver in 2001 that I have some sort of super sense about the competition. That has yet to be seen, but it is looking good so far.

Being an alumni in FIRST is not a free ride. You have to prove to your mentors and the students that you have what it takes to be a good mentor. And you have to prove that you are responsible enough to be entrusted with major tasks concerning your team. After you have accomplished that, the rewards are unlimited. I still can’t get over it when students look to me for answers. Students look to me to make a difference. It is the best feeling in the world, and I won’t give it up for anything… unless I got to drive the robot again!

I apologize for the length, but I feel better now. :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by melitami *
**If you love FIRST and are feeling left out, I would recommend getting to know your region’s regional coordinators. They know what teams in the region need help, organize demos and such. You could also volunteer for FIRST, at the remote kickoffs, Lego League Tournaments, and the robotics regionals.

Go, talk to your regional coordinators. They work very hard and are very good at what they do, but always could use help. **

This is true- I graduated team 38 last year, and spent as much time as possible with the team this year. It does sadden me to see the lack of enthusiasm for the competition as in previous years among my taem, but I also look forward to, and volunteered for the UTC Regional, and will be volunteering for Nationals, with all possible excitement and enthusiasm as when I first started with FIRST in '99. Those who attended the UTC regional would recognize me as the field crew with the Umbrella hat on Saturday. As long as enthusiasm and excitement are kept alive within FIRST in general, regardless of team, then FIRST will continue to grow and more and more people will realize what it’s all about.

Ummm Intriguing

I will try to be as un-biased as possible on this question.
I am not an alumni on a FIRST team, as you might mean it. I did not go to the High School that my team is from. I joined the team through a college class, helping out with the CAD design stage 3 years ago.

Over the past 3 years I have seen both positive, and maybe not so positive attitudes directed from the team as a whole to the individual (graduated) alumni of the team.

Some graduates are welcomed with open arms into the team year after year, while others are frowned upon just about every time they show up (on their own free will none-the-less) at a meeting.

On one end of the spectrum we have a few graduates who come back to the team every year since they graduated and help a lot where they can in their area of expertise. They are treated with respect from all the team members from current seniors to freshman, and also the adult mentors and school faculty…

But there are always two sides to a coin.

There are other graduates who came back, volunteered to mentor a subteam, started a large project with help from current students, and then were basically denied the respect they deserved, mostly from the leaders on the team… And also the project they started, which was a breakthrough in the team, was taken over and credit was given to someone else. Every time this project is shown to members of the team, I just have to roll my eyes, because I actually know the truth behind it all. These particular graduates work great with the kids, but I feel that they get basically no respect from the faculty advisors and some others.

One group of graduates started mentoring other students, and helping out in a technical area and were basically forced out of that position by another group of students and a mentor, and their ideas ignored so much, that they don’t want to even be associated with the team anymore.

I usually don’t have to deal with any of the issues that these graduates face, but I still hear about it, being the link between the team and them because I am close to their ages, and it is really disturbing…
Unless their is something I am totally missing, this just seems wrong.

no, not at all. As long as I keep passing what FIRST is all about to the new kids, I’m happy.