Ford Probe + Boost = KABOOM

Just freakin’ awesome carnage here.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701176545

:ahh:

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

ive never even been on that forum! :mad:

Nothing more than a giant paper weight now! :ahh:

I must say that is the most awesomeness thing i have seen in a long time. FORDS gotta love em :smiley: . . . . LOL but i must give the owner kudos, atleast it went out in big style.

oh why did he take it all apart?

if he had squirted some Marvel Mystery oil in the spark plug holes, and started it back up, it would have been fine!

:^)

After readin the majority of that thread… I’m really impressed with how well that motor held up. Said he was running upward of 25lbs of boost on a STOCK bottom end! :ahh: Apparently he made like 30 dyno pulls and at least that number of runs down the 1/4 mile before it came apart… tough little motor!

I wonder how many horsepower it was making at the crank. I know that American enginges tend to have rather restrictive heads (two valve not four/five like most/some japenese and euro engines), so that 25 psi probably wasn’t doing as much, as, say twenty on a 1MZ-FE or such. A rod shooting out the TOP though is really impressive, and wierd. I mean, they usually fly out the bottom on high boost applications. I find it sad that the other people on that forum assumed nitrous, clearly somebody watched Fast and Furious (worst movie ever) and thought that to get high hp you need to use it. The highest hp street driven motor I’ve ever heard of was a single turbo 2JZ-GTE @ 39 psi, no N2O, especially that NOS brand. ( 991 whp 9 sec 1/4 at 149.99 mph if you were wondering)

The Ford Probe had 4 diffrent engines. Of them, 3 where originally Mazda’s (the MX-6 and probe are identical). The trashed engine appears to be one of the 2nd Gen v-6’s, a KL-03 or KL-ZE. There are two dead giveaways- One are the valves, 4 in each cylinder. The second is the block made out of cast aluminum. Stock, it was advertised at around 200 HP

With out knowing anything else about the engine, it’s impossible to say how much power it was producing. My guess is that the boost didn’t kill it, but something causing premature ignition or detonation. Bad gas perhaps. This forced a piston down on to the rod before it passed TDC, and the rest of the pistons died as everything became unbalanced and generally messed up.

As it happens, Mazda engines are, for the most part excellent. I have one in my Miata that after 15 years hasn’t had a single problem. They were made by the guys who figured out that rotary engine thing after all.

You can buy tuned crate v8’s that easily make a reliable 1000 with out anything fancy going on. Not to mention about 4 times the torque.

This is one of the best examples of over revving I have seen in a great while. For starts note the burning on the top of the pistons and the inside of the head and valves. This engine was burning itself alive. The thread also mentioned that the trans was modified. Very typical chain of events is this. Trans loses it between shifts, likely 2 to 3, and goes no load on the engine. Before the driver can think to react and shut down, the engine goes past redline (especially with the boost) and things start to go bad pretty fast. One cylinder (the bent rod most likely) whacked a valve and bent the rod making it shorter. When it came down the piston pulled out of the cylinder and was forced back in at an angle, tearing up the cylinder wall and leaving debris in the pan. This debris then gets whacked by a piston on the way down or gets jammed between a crank weight and a bearing journal. If the piston was on a power stroke, it comes apart. It’s all downhill from there, the engine is now unbalanced and a lot of debris is being flung inside the pan. By now the rod without piston is traveling back up the cylinder wall, finishing the damage to the remains of the piston. When it comes back down, it pulls out of the cylinder, goes sideways and punches a hole in the side of the block while the crank continues to turn. All of this is taking place in a couple of revolutions of the crank while it’s turning 8000 or 9000 RPM. The driver is lucky if the engine doesn’t catch fire at this point and the trans doesn’t decide to fall back into gear on a locked engine. The car is already out of control with oil pouring onto the pavement and wetting the tires. If the trans had cut back in, the drive wheels would have locked and the car would have been an out of control rocket. This is the very reason drag racers moved to rear mounted engines, the debris and oil and flames would be behind them instead of in front.