Ford Sponsorship required data excessive

Can anyone here comment on why Ford is requiring so much student data for sponsorship consideration for the 2020 season? I get wanting to know # of students, ethnicity/grade/gender breakup, etc. People seem to care about these metrics WAY more than I do, and Ford wants to know where their money is going to. Fine. But some of the datapoints they are requiring are beyond excessive and downright creepy.

I should not be required to provide the home address, citizenship status, or phone number/email of under-aged students (or their parents) to a corporation. I don’t care what security they claim to have, companies are getting hacked all the time, and requiring this info is beyond concerning. Are we being payed by Ford for them to data-mine my team members and their families?

Additionally more than half my team is freshman/sophomores. They have no idea what they want to do for their career yet, much less what college they want to go to. That’s kinda why they joined the team; to figure it out. So asking what college they want/plan to attend is absurd.

Am I wrong?

7 Likes

I think your feelings on this are completely valid, and I feel for you. You should give them a call and ask why if possible. I think that asking for metrics like those is pretty creepy.

1 Like

Is it possible to submit without the data?

Agreed. Providing anything beyond aggregate (anonymized) team demographic breakdown as a condition of team sponsorship is an immediate “no” for our team, no matter how much money is on the table.

Definitely agreed that you should try to talk to a human about the issue and negotiate some changes, they should still have time to modify/fix the application before the sponsorships are allocated.

@Technologyman00 even if it’s “optional”, there are many grants that treat “optional” fields as required to get any money awarded.

3 Likes

Here’s one of those times that lying is perfectly acceptable.

2 Likes

Home address and contact is just useless and a perfect example of gathering more data than you need. You’re definitely not wrong to call it out as that. I would ask people what they wanted to provide, and then when everyone says no thanks and you submit all that blank, you can attach a note saying something to the effect of “we were refused permission to share this data” or similar.

1 Like