Former FIRST student and mentor dies in a tragic rocket attack in Iraq today.

It’s rather hard to realize how difficult things are for his family right now… I’ll try to make this post as coherent as I can.

Karl Linn, a Synergy Robotics team member from 3 years ago, and a former member of 405 (I believe this is what it was) lost his life today in Iraq from a rocket-propelled grenade while he was on patrol. His brother and father, member and mentor respectively, are both core members of our team and I cannot properly express how sad this is for us all.

Karl was a student at VCU for a while before he joined the military, and was a mentor for us before he joined the Marines. He also designed our famous logo and started our legacy of “best buttons.”

If you would like to express your condolences to the family, contact me and I will give you his brother’s e-mail address. But you can also post on our forum and give your sympathies.

http://team975.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46

http://www.team975.org/images/karl.jpg

I’m very sorry about this, I’m not sure what to say but at least his hard work helped in liberating millions of people.

Oh my god! I’m really so sorry! From 384 to Synergry, we have your thoughts in our prayers.

From 384, I would like to offer my prayers for the Linn family, and Synergy.
ivey

I am very sad to hear about this, and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

Only those who have lost a loved one in this war, or any war, can understand the immense grief that will follow. I lost my cousin at the end of September, and to see someone this young die for their country is a heartbreaking loss and a stab of reality, all at the same time. It’s hard to believe, but the grief slowly heals with time.

This is actually the third time I’ve opened this thread, and I think I’ve finally gotten myself to the point where I can reply to it.

First off, my greatest sympathy’s and thoughts to team Synergy and to this Marine’s family. I know the heartbreak that I feel everytime I hear about one of our men/women being injured or worse. I have a very good friend in the Marines, so I know how it feels constantly being afraid. I just cannot even express my feelings of compassion and prayer for all of you right now. I hope that everyone is keeping close and supporting each other, it’s the only way to get through. Once again, my condolences to everyone involved.

On behalf of team 547, our sympathy to the family and the team. Mr. Linn’s work in Iraq was important and because of people like him, we are free.

God Bless,
Mike

I tried to come up with some wise words for something like this.

And there isn’t a single one that can describe my thoughts at the moment.

Best wishes to his family and you all.

From 1351, I’d like to offer my prayers to the Linn family, friends, and Synergy.

~Stephanie
Team 1351

On behalf of team 222, we give our deepest sympathy to the family and the team. It’s hard to hear such news. Again, our sympathies.

Words can not explain how I feel =/ but I know how you all feel – I lost my cousin not long ago to the war. Team 1466 sends their condolences.

im so sorry for your loss … while I cannot say that I truly know what you are going through, I do extend my deepest sympathies and condolences on behalf of 771 and 1353 …

Team 103 would like to offer its deepest sympathies to Karl Linn’s family and team. We are terribly sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Deepest sympathy to Karl’s family and ‘Team Family’ from Chuck 84. We all feel your loss.

There are no words to express the deep regret felt by every member of the FIRST family at the loss of Karl Linn. His death is another reminder of how precious life is and how abruptly it can be taken from us. While we on team #1163 did not know Karl personally his sacrifice represents to all of us the loss of a friend and a fellow American. May Karl rest in peace and may his family find solace in their abiding faith.

Once again another fine young solder has tragically left us. It is tragic that such fine Young men and women lose there lives before they even really begin. I convey to you my heart felt sympathy.
-J15.5h :frowning:

People will miss him. Team 616’s school recently lost a former student in Iraq. His sister is a senior. Ideas of an inscription on the robot or a button in his honor are being considered. Team 616 sends their best wishes.

On behalf of MOE 365, Karl and his family are in our thoughts and prayers. During this time of the year, we are all heavily in the “FIRST ZONE.” It is sad news such as this that reminds us that there is world turning outside of this year’s game.

Hopefully, what each of us gathers from our FIRST experience and what we do with it outside the FIRST bubble will help truly make the world a better place, so there is less sad news in the future.

Bravery, Loyalty, Courage, Integrity, Leadership

Those five words are the best way to describe a soldier who would willingly risk his/her own health and safety for our nation. ANY loss is tragic, but to die as an American soldier is not a shameful death. Our military represents the greatest aspects of our people. I have only the deepest respect for your former teammate’s sacrifice, and I pray you find it easier to bear his loss as time goes by.

I haven’t had time to read all the posts yet, but I will. I thank you all for your concern and sympathy. All that knew Karl feel the great loss. I am busy trying to make funeral arrangements and so forth, but perhaps Tan will post some stuff. I am still in the shock/denial stage.

Dick Linn
(Karl’s Dad)