Found a new brushless motor!

That will swing your scoring arm!

It might be just a tiny bit big :wink:

This is an axial flux brushless permanent magnet motor serving as a traction drive for an elevator. Things that look like this can deliver 3 to 28 hp at 60 to 140 RPM. Dual spring set brakes rated at 125% of load. Rolling numbers around, it might deliver 1,000 ft pounds of torque. No gears!

The ACPM 540 seems very similar:
https://acim.nidec.com/en-us/elevators/imperial-electric/products/gearless-acpm-machines

Interesting IEEE paper on these motors:
Axial-Flux Permanent-Magnet Motor for Direct-Drive Elevator Systems Without Machine Room

13 Likes

Now THIS will burn up some carpet!

5 Likes

Now were cookin :fire:

1 Like

I found one too…looks like it will be great on my robot*

*This is a new weapon motor for our Battlebot Switchback

23 Likes

NEO V1.2??? :scream: :laughing:

8 Likes

It’s a Nidec! I don’t understand why Nidec picked the motor they did for FRC. They do make brushless motors that would have been a much better fit for FRC. For example, this one (Automotive ABS | NIDEC CORPORATION) appears to have specs (400W, 3.3Nm of stall torque, 580g) that are not that dissimilar to a NEO. The problem may have been they didn’t want to put in the NRE to develop a FRC-friendly motor controller at those power levels?

6 Likes

Perfect for the new 4 propulsion motor rule!

Will this be enough to spin the color wheel?

6 Likes

Maybe a bit on the heavy side …

Gear down for what!

GIF-230828_213556

3 Likes

shoutouts to johnson electric for returning as a supplier to donate a motor specifically to solve a challenge no one liked in a game no one played in tandem with a sensor that doesn’t work and then disappearing again

2 Likes

is this real??

It’s the appearance, yes.

That said, I take exception to the assertion that no one played the 2020 game…But support the “challenge no one liked” statement.

3 Likes