A quick update on our intake progression!
We’ll be posting our shooter videos tomorrow but those take a little longer to edit… At least I don’t want to get your bored watching a 2 minute video for 10 double shots.
I’ll be quick cutting those tomorrow including results.
We’ve been testing 5 different types of hood grip.
1 Neo vs 2 Neo
All UPPER shots
BOUNCING CARGO INTAKE PROTOTYPES
We’ve been working with the idea of adding a top roller above our eventual intake. Today they tested two different types of ways to get the CARGO down into the intake.
Sadly we couldn’t get these prototypes recorded on carpet while driving so they’re stand-still shots but still quite interesting…
Test 1 = Carwash with the non-slip drawer liner.
Seemed to work pretty well. The spacing and geometery was sub-optimal on this setup since we had to deal with what we had bolted on there. Make sure that when you’re using a CARWASH style that the flaps that spin won’t get out of the 16" frame extension
Test 2 = The expensive velcro roller.
We bought some plastic hook and loop velcro which was quite stiff, wide and hard. This type of velcro seems to not damage the CARGO that much.
We’re really worried about using velcro on our robot because it will most likely damage CARGO for worse… But after couple test runs the CARGO didn’t seem to bother it that much.
Both tests can be seen in the video below.
HELIX SPIRAL STYLE VECTOR INTAKE
It started with a couple 3D prints, a few extra iterations to check what geometry would work. Both for the positioning of the spiral roller itself on the robot as well as the helix dimensions and pitch.
Whenever the CARGO fits inside an entire width of a screw it seemed to work best for us.
These were still just regular PLA prints.
They were similarly mounted as our mecanum intake so they’re easy to swap.
We’re leaning into the idea of designing both intakes and see which works best on the entire robot eventually.
The screws are being printed out of TPU currently so they don’t break as easily, are a little more grippy and can flex a little.
MECANUM VECTOR INTAKE + STORAGE MOCK UP
We added a “storage” on the kitbot plus the mecanum intake. To see what needed to be done with the drivetrain in order to intake the CARGO through the bumpers.
After narrowing down the slanted plate from DT into higher “storage” we added a couple belts to get the CARGO through the robot.
This style of “connecting” “subsystems” helped us a lot in figuring out complete dimensioning and see if we could get things to work properly. If it works as janky as this it will probably work out of sheetmetal as well…
Tomorrow we’ll post a longer update including the shooter videos and conclusions.
Our team meeting on monday evening will be completely remote and we’ll do our first real design session based on the strategy outcomes of 3DM and the prototype outcomes.
By comparing those we can update our requirements for the robot and adjust the goals we have if needed.
Thank you all!
We’ve been getting quite a lot of positive comments through DMs, on Discord, on SLACK, on Social Media which really means a lot for us. We love to be an inspiration to others and being helped by the community whenever we’re making a mistake or someone has an suggested improvement.
That’s all what Open Alliance is about and we’re proud to be part of it!
Stay tuned for more videos very soon!
If you have any questions… you know where to find us