FRIDAY - WEEK 3
It has been a while since we posted an update… sorry about that! The last weeks most of our team members were having exams and school work.
Sunday Week 2 Testing
We’ve been testing with various different variables on a 4000 rpm PI controller.
- CARGO with 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 PSI.
- Different alignments on the fender: left, right, from the middle
- Shooting with a cargo between the bumper and the fender
- Again smooth polycarbonate vs. ribbed rubber
You can see all the different tests on our youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/c/Teamrembrandts/videos)
This was the last test run we’ve done for the day:
What did we learn?
Shooting from the fender into the LOWER and the UPPER can be done with a 2 position hood. But when there is a CARGO in between your bumper and the fender, you might get in trouble. It can be done with a 3 position hood but we don’t like the added complexity for now. For rev1 we’re sticking with a simple 2 position pneumatic adjustable shooter.
We’re still liking the ribbed rubber, which seems to increase shooting consistency.
With 40mm of compression we see hardly any difference between the different PSI shots.
Intake Rev1 Testing & Rev2 CAD
Sadly the drivetrain wasn’t done in time due to a production mistake on our end.
We focused mainly on testing the shooter which meant we have no progression on the intake in the last week.
We’ve been working on the actuation part of the intake. It will be powered by a pneumatic cylinder.
The extending stroke will push a rack down inside a tube > retracting the intake within the frame perimeter. The intake arms have a laser cutted pinion down that rotates since the rack pushes down.
On the extending stroke there will be a spring that counterbalances the weight of the intake. This means we can use smaller bore cylinders > less air pressure/volume needed.
On the retracting stroke we make use of the weight of the intake itself. The gravity of the intake helps overcome the spring force.
See the movements in the CAD below. On the right we have a functional model of a cylinder with spring and a bag with 750 grams of weight. Approximately the weight of our intake.
Rev1 Robot Is Alive!
We got the robot up and running. Need to do a final check up tomorrow and fixate the intake at the right angle to test with intaking cargo as well.
Here are some screenshots on the current sub system development.
Plan For The Weekend
Final testing of Rev1 development robot.
Finalize CAD of Rev2 development robot.
Start preparing materials for the upcoming new revision.