NTX and Offseason Update 2
Week of 10/10, 10/17 and 10/24
This is another big update. Things have been really busy and thankfully continue to be as the offseason is closer to ending. Hopefully, the next few updates will be shorter.
NTX was a success as far as training and learning went.
We had some 5431 volunteers help set up the field on Friday 10/7 and even more help with takedown Sunday 10/9 where we worked alongside teams 1296 and 6171 in order to load the new carpet into our trailer. Thank you so much to everyone who helped it was an amazing team-building experience to move our current field elements and replace the carpet which happened 10/17!
We now have the field set up to where the carpet can be rolled out for a full field!!! (We also placed spider webs around for Halloween decor)
During STEM Gals most of the problems we experienced were due to new drivers figuring out their communication which is more than okay. Autoclimb worked well and for the most part so did our Auton. Throughout the turnovers, the pit crew fixed minor intake issues and switched out the batteries for the next match. At the of the day, we did end up unspooling one of the climbers which needed to be fixed the next day so 5431 just ended up re-spooling both arms. We end up winning the Spirit award and joining teams 3847, 6171, and 8874 in the semi-finals.
In the first match, we ended up tipping Hermes which broke the 3D-printed limelight container. Later that caused some connection issues with Vision. For the rest of NTX Hermes kept losing coms but we later found out that it was an electrical issue. Cancoder stopped working; was either corrosion or broken connections, another cancoder also had broken connections, were fixed by installing 2 new cancoders.
As mentioned earlier we took this Thursday to replace the old carpet with a new NTX carpet, yay! It was a great team-building experience. Later at the end of practice, 5431 had a reflection about what happened at our offseason competition and how we can improve. Some of the these mentioned were:
Electronics worked on fixing all the batteries and retiring corroded ones. They untaped, removed the leads, cleaned the batteries and then made new battery leads and started attaching those to the batteries. Two batteries are fully ready and a few more were almost done.
Programming learned about the major robot components, from the RoboRIO to the VRM to Falcons and Talons and Victors and Sparks.
Marketing, SNS and SOFA worked on our trunk or treat demo at an elemtray school!
5431 team members helped our sister building Harley Davidson plan their 30th annual Teddy Bear Ride to help The Children’s Advocacy center of Colin County. It was a success with our members moving tables and managing traffic.
Marketing rookies worked with SOFA to get an outline together for our chairman’s video. After getting adobe illustrator to finally work they got to work on some digital design elements. We have come up with a complete design for social media (Twitter banner, profile pic etc.) and we were able to get most components done.
Programming mainly focused on Codecademy today. Our awesome prog lead helped fix Astraeus and added a feature to the attendance system that uploaded it to a Google Sheet automatically in preparation for moving to a Raspberry Pi.
Electronics finished up battery repair by replacing the battery leads and securely taping them. We organized parts and wires that have been left out and next practice we plan to work on DuPont crimping.
Programming reviewed the auto climb command to analyze and learn about object scoping and constructors, and we also learned best practices when using multiple similar constructors (put them in a scope that can be garbage collected). We also managed to break Hermes twice, and we also found some stripped wires near the battery - all three issues have been resolved though, and Hermes should be ready for our demo 10/28! In other news, thanks to our mentor Astraeus’s radio will no longer keep restarting on any violent movement, as the VRM has been bypassed with a new VRM and POE injector! Astraeus is now fully operational after build made fixes to the climber and intake.
SOFA finalized our student list for trunk or treat and grew our knowledge of sponsorships. Events are being planned and we’re looking forward to a November and December packed with events from STEAM Nights to FLL Events.
Trunk or Treat update 10/28/22
Even though the event was moved inside there was still an incredible turnout. In the beginning, we realized that Hermes was way too powerful to be used in the hallway we were given. Instead of playing catch with the kids, we had them roll cargo for the robot to scoop up, then have the robot eject it back towards the kids. We brought out 100 flyers thinking it would be enough, but we had to print 50 more to finish the event. Overall 5431 considered the elementary tunk or treat an amazing success and the members who participated should be very proud.