FRC 5817 Shooter Prototype Teaser #2

So after seeing the comments and questions posted on the first teaser, we decided to make a second one that better showcases our shooting abilities. It exists, it is not a field component, and it is even accurate! And yes, it does have a cool name.

Enjoy!

How do we even know it’s FRC parts and not a bench grinder with a flywheel? :wink:

Have you tested with multiple balls?

If not you might want to…

^ Asking the real questions

I appreciate the accuracy and the theatricality of this video, but whats with all the secrecy? Everyone knows 2 million ways to shoot a ball by now, I doubt you’re like crazy innovating, and some people could benefit from seeing how you’re shooting so accurately.

Although you have every right to keep it a secret if you want, I just don’t see the point.

Anyway, nice shots and good luck this season.

If anyone wants to see some true accuracy in practice, I think you’ll really enjoy this video. Bonus, you can see their shooter isn’t using a bench grinder!

-Mike

Michael, The kids have found an innovation on the shot vs. all others posted. It is 100% FRC legal and with all FRC components and battery. We are trying to show what is possible so other teams don’t settle and keep working their prototypes. But there is a lot of learning in the development and optimizing of the prototypes and we don’t want to deny the other teams this learning opportunity by just giving it away.

Kudos on making this prototype!

However…

It’s kind of ridiculous to say your shot is innovative yet not say how.

Additionally, your sample size of posted prototypes is very small.

I would rather encourage teams to look to for inspiration in the video I posted, since they can actually learn how 1717 pulled off such an amazing shot.

When you’re posting claims of “fastest shot” or “super accurate”, you have to be willing to take some “shots” yourself :slight_smile:

Side note: some of those shots from 10ft range in your video hit the side of the goal. I’d encourage you guys to keep iterating and try to improve the accuracy of Asset 003 :wink:

-Mike

I’ll echo the above sentiment.

Still, kudos on the work so far.

Trolly team is trolly.

click bait :frowning:

I would definitely like to see your 22 foot shot using multiple game pieces (as you do in your 10 foot shot). I could show you a video of our prototype draining 30x 22 foot shots consecutively…with 1 ball.

Kudos on a solid prototype you’ve appeared to learn a lot from. In my 16 years of FRC I’ve learned one thing, its not really so much about exactly how you shoot a ball, climb a bar, lift a box or drive across the floor - but about how all those things come together in a consistent, well-drive, reliable machine.

Good luck.

-Brando

We are going to have more boulders to use with the final bot. And also better components to increase the shot accuracy even more.

Great work. For a young team, you have demonstrated a very precise and has possibility of being very accurate.

The reason I say potential for accuracy is that over the years I have seen a number of impressive prototypes get turned into mediocre robots. Sometimes it is because the fixturing of the prototype is quite massive compared to the spindly structure of the robot. Sometimes it is the voltage loss during the match playing into the speeds/power/controls. Sometimes it is the massive flywheel of the proto gets reduced to reduce weight. Often it is the nuance of had feeding vs. robot feeding the ball.

Anyway you look at it, you have a lot to be proud of and thank you for sharing. I would recommend you do not waste time trying to impress the competition at this point in the season and letting critics get in your head. You have just a few short weeks to get this shooter on a working robot.

Unlike many previous years, the robot has some pretty rough terrain between supply and scoring opportunities.

Also unlike many years, you essentially get one shot before playing fetch. Many shooters are very consistent once a lot of practice shots are used to line it up. On the field, you will not have these practice shots, so make sure you understand what it takes to either get into position, or reduce position sensitivity.

Great work so far, but keep the pedal to the metal turning that prototype into a robot.

One other “pro-tip” if possible, do not take that prototype apart until you have a better version of it if at all possible. If you stumble across the secret sauce without really knowing what went into the pot, it is helpful to have a reference when dealing with a second batch that turns out sub-par.

Wow, this advice is awesome! I just learned a ton.

Listen to this guy, forget what I said!

-Mike

I dunno what all the hate about secrecy is - if it’s competition-sensitive, then so be it. They’re in CA, so any number of surrounding teams can reverse-engineer what they have from a crummy pixelated photo, quickly iterate on it, then use their own idea against them at the regional (supposing it really is novel).

I agree with Ike - no need to waste time on teasers until the bot is end-to-end functional.

Since this doesn’t give away the design it is just a little hard to tell in the video, how high off the ground is your exit point, as in how tall is the shooter?

Watch How This Prototype Shoots a Foam Ball. 0:33 Seconds Had Me In Tears!

Whatever gravity gun you use to shoot the balls, you don’t need to tell me! Just build a competitive and reliable robot that people can see later.

1 Like

It is really cool how consistent 5817 have made their shooter. As Ike stated, getting it aimed at the goal properly, in competition will be the next challenge.

I agree with Michael that 1717’s accomplishment is more impressive since they are showing the results of the whole system that drives around, picks up the balls, acquires the target then shoots, not just a shooter that has been aimed by hand and clamped down. The video Michael linked is one of three that 1717 published after the end of the 2012 season. In those three videos, they score every single one of about 200 shots. It also seemed that in those videos, the ball goes through the hoop just to the left of center, indicating that their whole system is capable of only around 2 inches of variability over the 200 shots.

There is a HUGE difference being consistent with one ball versus all balls.

Once a ball has a few hundred shots on it they become much, much softer.