Build season: week one
Team 7461 started kickoff by officially moving into our new space. The increased amount of workspace and tools that we now have access to has reduced the stress of this build season and heavily impacted the team’s efficiency for the better.
The team had two kickoff days; Saturday was in person, and Sunday was online.
Saturday morning, we watched the broadcast, read the game manual, and broke down the game. In the afternoon, smaller groups were assigned archetypes to analyze cycle times.
Sunday, we once again split off into smaller groups to discuss how the team should approach this game and what we should prioritize. Once the team regrouped, we created the priority list and started some mechanism talk.
Game Strategy and breakdown
The team discussed six different archetypes and analyzed how we could gain the most points in the least amount of time and how to gain the most RP. For every archetype, smaller groups formulated cycle times, and later the whole team discussed which archetype would work best.
In the end, we decided on a slightly modified version of R5. Ground pick up, 6 point climb, and shooting against the hub.
The three options we considered shooting from were the launch pad, the end of the tarmac, and from against the hub. We decided to go with shooting from against the hub because lining up within the launch pad would take away precious time, and shooting from the tarmac makes us vulnerable with defense. Shooting against the hub is the best option since it’s an easy position to get into and line up against. In addition, there are four places to shoot from, and defense is made to be somewhat difficult.
Although we can score two goals at once, and we wouldn’t be as vulnerable to defense if we scored in the low goal, the team decided to go with the high goal because we can score the same amount of points in half the cycles. Our primary concern with shooting in the high goal is missing the shot; however, our experience with the 2020 bots makes us feel confident that we can pull this off.
With the off-season robot in 2021, our prominent jam spot was where the hopper and the shooter integrated.To avoid that, we took inspiration from 2135’s 2021 robot and have decided to go with a wide shooter. Instead of going with a double-wide shooter, the team has decided to go with a 1.5 wide shooter in order to mount our climb.
The team has decided that it would be best to build a fixed shooter that shoots from against the hub. We feel that shooting from anywhere in the field would require an adjustable hood and a turret, or defense would be effective against us. In addition, not only does it take many resources to build an adjustable hood and a turret, but lining the angle up will take away much-needed time.
Speaking of climb, the team has bought WCP’s GreyT Telescope as we feel that building a reliable climb would take up lots of resources that are better directed elsewhere on the robot. In addition, because climb can hardly fit two robots side by side, we have decided to build a smaller robot.
We have decided to go with a wide shooter to make indexing the ball much simpler. Our hopper is essentially a conveyor belt that feeds right into the shooter.
The team has decided to go with an over-the-bumper, touch it own it intake. Due to game pieces being so sparse on the field and the team having experience with over-the-bumper intakes, this is the easiest path for us to build a successful robot.
We are using a kit of parts drivetrain, for both reliability and simplicity. The team does not have enough experience building a WCD, and we don’t have enough time to build, test, code, and tune a swerve drive. With a kit of parts drivetrain, we can spend time elsewhere on the robot.
Prototyping: progress on prototyping
There was no meeting on Monday (1/10); however, we got an initial CAD done for prototyping.
Tuesday (1/11), we got training on how to use the laser cutters and 3d printers, split up into our subsystems, and got to work.
We have a climb and a hub assembled and ready to use.
The shooter prototype has been fully assembled, and we are currently testing how to angle the shooter and compression
The intake prototype has been fully assembled, attached to a drivetrain, and tested for compression.
The hopper is fully assembled, attached to the drivetrain, and we are currently working on how to angle the hopper.
We are currently waiting for the west coast products telescoping arm to arrive. In the meantime, we have chosen to rely on the falcon’s brake mode because our robot needs to be light, and the pneumatics sticks out of frame perimeter.
We are currently waiting for our drive train to arrive, we ordered the andymark am14u5 chassis, and we already have the toughbox minis/belts/wheels.
The main goal is to have the robot built by week three-four with programming and tuning to get more in drive practice. In addition, this year our team has decided to go for chairmans and we are all pretty excited to be participating in that.