[FRC Blog] 2022 Beta Testing

Posted on the FRC Blog, 9/30/2021: https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/frc/blog/2021-2022-beta-testing

2022 Beta Testing

2021 Sep 24 | Written by Kevin O’Connor, Senior Robotics Engineer, FIRST Robotics Competition

As all of you start gearing up for the 2022 season, the Control System Team is gearing up too! With the new REV Robotics control system devices and the roboRIO 2.0 both debuting this season, WPILib will have a few more breaking changes than a typical season. Some of those changes may be due to the new devices, while some may be changes that we have wanted to make for a while and held off to keep code compatible. Before anybody gets too worried, the overall scope of these changes is still pretty small; it probably won’t take most teams more than a meeting or two to update old code, especially with the help of the Changelog documentation that will be available.

Given this larger set of breaking changes, and to allow teams to experiment with the new hardware as soon as it is available (assuming teams purchase their own hardware), we are going to do beta testing a little bit different this year. Unlike previous years, where we capped the number of teams participating in the test, this year we will allow an unlimited number of teams to participate. Teams will still have to complete an application and designate a small number of individuals to access the site where the beta software is going to be hosted, but any team that submits a complete, reasonable application will be accepted. Similar to testing in previous seasons, there will be a list of testing tasks and we strongly encourage teams to complete, and provide feedback on, these tasks in order to help us make sure the software is well tested prior to the season. Feedback must be submitted by early December for inclusion in the Kickoff release, but teams may continue testing until Kickoff.

The first release of Beta software is expected to be available around the first or second week of October. Teams completing the application prior to October 4th should expect to receive further information about accessing the beta site on or before October 8th. Applications completed after October 4th will be processed 1-2 times per week. The application process will close on December 17th to allow us to focus on preparing for the season.

Interestingly, this was just published on the FIRST Robotics Competition Facebook page today, yet is dated September 24th, 2021 on the FRC Blog itself. I don’t recall seeing it on the blog prior to today, however.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting this. Does anyone have any insight on the Team Forge requirement? Do we need to pay for a license to participate in the Beta Program?

1 Like

Past betas used this server: TeamForge : Welcome

I’m assuming they are just trying to identify which accounts they should grant access to the 2022 beta project.

I believe you can sign up for a new account at the above address. At one point in the past the naming convention for usernames was NameT1234, not sure if they’re still requesting that be followed

3 Likes

No.

1 Like

Will these components be packed in the 2022 Veteran Kit of Parts, or will they need to be purchased separately?

According to this Blog post, REV components will not be provided in the Veteran or Rookie KOP for the 2022 season, and only Rookie kits will receive Robo-RIO 2.0’s.

1 Like

This is cool. Open beta.

2 Likes

I agree; I always thought that helping with the beta program could be a cool experience for us, but we are a small team, and we worry that we will take a slot away from someone more experienced who could help more than we can. Also, it is nice to see that Python is an option as well as the fact that you do not need to identify one specific language as your language of choice (at least not yet).

1 Like

I wouldn’t discourage anyone that is really interested even in years that it is a closed beta. The reality is that not all the teams that are actually selected to participate actually do good testing and report their results. Furthermore in recent years I believe Java has been the only language to actually “fill”.

In some cases I would argue that having all of the teams be heavily experienced can even be a downside in that less experienced teams come to the beta with a different (and much more common in the general FIRST population) perspective that helps us evaluate those users.

7 Likes

Funny, I was actually wondering about that as I was writing that last post. Thank you.

I registered for this and am still waiting for a reply.

Does anyone know when they will process the requests to take part in the beta testing? They said a couple of times per week, but it has been longer than that already.

“The application process will close on December 17th to allow us to focus on preparing for the season.”

Yes, I know. I applied well before the 17th and am still waiting.

Have you tried logging into Teamforge? There might not have been an email address on your application to notify that it got processed.

I had an issue a few years ago where the beta invite emails ended up in spam. I’m not sure how to resolve that - I don’t think the others on my team that also had the issue were ever able to access the beta stuff since I noticed a bit close to when they get automatically deleted and they never got resent.

1 Like

Ah, yes. That was it. I logged into TeamForge and was able to access the beta area.

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.