[FRC Blog] 2023 Control System Info

I think we’re set with the Roborio 2 for the next 5 or 6 years at a minimum. I say that because I doubt NI would have put the money into another one without a contract for a guarantee that they make their money back. Based on the length of the cRio / cRio 2 (2009 - 2016), Roborio 1 (2016-2021), there’s a little history to back those numbers up.

5 Likes

Once the new control systems components become used by a majority of teams they’ll likely put out a phase-out timeline . Save RIs the headache of learning two systems.

I don’t see any reason why the CTRE control system would be phased out anytime soon (5+ years).

I don’t understand your point about this being a headache for the RI’s. Until we get 5+ years down the road and almost nobody is using the CTRE system that system will be more familiar to anyone except a brand new RI. Either way forcing teams to shelve working hardware and pay significant money for the new stuff with no advantage, for a little more effort (it is really small effort) on the RI’s part is a bad take IMO.

9 Likes

The KOP should be renamed because the ideas of a 6-week build season challenge and KOP are obsolete at this point.
I also think rookie teams kits should also be revisited to make it a true KOP option if those teams should elect to have them, even if it costs more.

18 Likes

In a way it has already been partially renamed. FIRST comms nowadays consistently refer to the black-box-o-stuff (and associated loose materials) that you get on kickoff day as the “Kickoff Kit”.

4 Likes

Bingo. Phase out timeline was meant to mean not a headache this year, but in the future.

I have always disliked the use of the term “kit” in reference to the “stuff” teams get at Kickoff. Too many newbies (students, parents, rookie teams) and even the general public and sponsors equate the “Kit of Parts” to a “Robot Kit” that the kids just follow instructions and build. As an LRI I have lost count of the number of times a rookie team has shown up at their first competition with their unopened “kit” with the misconception that they were supposed to build it at the competition.

11 Likes

More evidence, the need for a change in just the entire concept of what a KOP or “Kickoff Kit” is.

I like the concept of VEX providing a registration kit with a game piece. And FRC to continue offering software licenses. I’m not sure when those licenses are available, but it makes sense that those things are available at the beginning of the school year, so teams have time to work with them prior to the game announcement.

1 Like

“Innovation Inspiring Box of Various Sticky-Backed Rubber Material and Incredibly Stiff Wire” doesn’t really roll off the tongue, but it is on the right track

6 Likes

I prefer “shaft collar voucher lootbox”

3 Likes

:eyes:

You might be onto something

“Tote Of Materials”

3 Likes

FRC Bonus Chest
Kickoff Goodie Box
The Warehouse Clearing Program

3 Likes

Loot box is about the most accurate description for it. There’s a bunch of stuff that you had to fight your way to get at but really only a couple things that are valuable.

6 Likes

FTFY.

4 Likes

Now that I think about it, I can think of another interlocking triangle, circle, and square logo…

3 Likes

Wow. I haven’t seen that in a long time…

2 Likes

Gonna fire up my old Tandy 1000 and pop in a 5 1/4" floppy to play some Super Boulder Dash

2 Likes

TOMUM

I love that it acronymizes nicely

“3D Printer Sweepstakes”

-I really wish we got it.

3 Likes