[FRC Blog] Q&A Reopening, Inter-District Event Registration Opening, and Payment Due Reminder

Posted on the FRC Blog, 11/07/19: https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/frc/blog/2020-qa-reopen-interdistrict-registration-payment-deadline

Q&A Reopening, Inter-District Event Registration Opening, and Payment Due Reminder

2019 NOV 07 | Written by Frank Merrick.

Q&A Reopening

Q&A System is Reopening FIRST Robotics Competition

Last week we published a few more rules for the 2020 season. Some of these rules included changes to what work teams can complete before Kickoff. A few folks asked some good questions about these rules. So, as we did with the rule changes affected by Stop Build Day, we are going to be reopening the official Q&A for a short period. This will give teams with questions a good place to ask them and all teams a good place to take a look at the answers.

The Q&A system will be opening at Noon Eastern Time on Friday, November 8. Lead Mentors 1 and 2 who have not already received their Q&A system access codes from the previous system opening will be emailed them before the system opens this time around.

Just as we did with the Stop Build Day rules, we will only be answering questions related to the interpretation of these just-released rules about pre-kickoff work. We will not be answering ‘why’ questions about the pre-kickoff work rules or responding to general comments in the Q&A. You can put those kinds of questions/comments in the comments section below, and we’ll answer them as we are able to. We will also not be answering questions about the rules we had released earlier about Stop Build day. The window for those questions has closed, though it will reopen shortly after kickoff as we open the Q&A fully for the season.

Also, just as we did last time, we’ll close the Q&A when the question frequency dwindles or the questions become redundant.

You can find the document summarizing the rules on the Game Manual tab of the Q&A system dashboard. This document will be updated by the time the Q&A system opens for questions on November 8.

Inter-District Event Registration Opening

District teams are now able to get on the waitlists of District events outside their home District. Check your dashboards to sign up. You can get on no more than two District event waitlists outside your home District. Sign up for these closes on November 18 at Noon Eastern Time. District management then gets together, decides who should go where, and offers are made to teams in December.

Payment Due Reminder

Just a quick reminder that event registration payment for your first event (or your first two events if you are in a district) is due November 18. See the details here.

It’s going to be a great season!

Frank

I appreciate the throwback Iron Man gif, Frank

4 Likes

That’s too bad, I was hoping they would have some slightly revised rules based on the community feedback, but I guess they’re done with that for now.

I am glad they’re doing this though, and I hope it happens again next year. Maybe we’ll eventually get to FTC’s system where almost the whole robot rules are released before Kickoff.

1 Like

We can only dream, and regularly suggest that more rules early help teams better prepare for the season and better prepared teams means a better experience for the students.

4 Likes

HQ has posted some rule updates prior to Q&A opening today.

https://frc-qa.firstinspires.org/manual

3 Likes

I can’t spot any major changes that we didn’t already know about. The most recent being the part about small COTS modifications before kickoff is now legal

They clarified a few things like adding in the single part rule that was absent from the other blog post and adding blue boxes. But yeah, nothing too unexpected that I can see.

https://frc-qa.firstinspires.org/qa/52

Falcon 500 replacement shafts still may or may not be legal. I can’t imagine they won’t clarify it eventually, but the lack of assurance is a bit concerning.

https://frc-qa.firstinspires.org/qa/54

There are no rules or restrictions requiring the “identical functional replacement” detailed in R11-B (with clarification in the Blue Box) to be a COTS item. A FABRICATED identical functional replacement would meet the description.

This is pretty cool. If you make a duplicate of a COTS item (EDIT: from the KOP), it seems that you can reuse it between seasons now.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s true, R11 and R14 are different rules.

2 Likes

Not sure I agree with your interpretation. That “identical functional replacement” clause specifically applies to R11-B, the exemption of KoP items from the BOM. It’s not mentioned anywhere in R14, which deals with fabricated parts made before kickoff. It can’t hurt to ask a Q&A to be sure, but it seems to me that that clause applies specifically to R11-B and if the GDC had wanted it to apply more generally they would have said so.

Edit: sniped by @AllenGregoryIV

1 Like