FRC Bootcamp 2019 Presented by FRC 272, The Cyber Crusaders

Come one, come all, to the 2019 FRC Bootcamp Presented by Team 272!

This annual event will contain informative workshops from local experts on a wide range of FRC related topics. Lunch will be served, and you will be able to get a fantastic birds-eye view from the 42nd floor of the Comcast Center right in the center of downtown Philadelphia.

Some of the confirmed topics include:

• Judging tips
  • Simple 2D CAD for early Design and Prototyping
  • Engineering and Design 101
  • Drivetrain 101
  • Advanced Parametric Modeling
  • Getting ready for inspection
  • Swerve Drive
  • FIRST Ladies
  • Developing a Safety program
    and more!

Where:
The Comcast Center
1701 John F Kennedy Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19103

When:
THIS Sunday, December 8th

Schedule:

8:00 - 9:00 – Team arrival (Lobby)

9:00 - Welcome

9:20 - 10:20 Session 1

10:30 - 11:30 Session 2

11:30 - 12:30 Lunch ( Informal Gatherings)

12:30 - 1:30 Session 3

1:40 - 2:40 Session 4

2:40 - 3:00 Wrap up and Clean up

Event Website/Registration: https://www.lcrobotics.org/first-bootcamp-seminar.html

Please reach out if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

1 Like

You misspelled “bootcamp” in the title.

2 Likes

Bootcamp is the correct term, no?

This looks awesome! Will there be any recordings or a live stream?

Unfortunately, unless some of the participating teams bring recording equipment, no. We have been working towards recording all of the presentations but don’t quite have the right resources yet. I’m trying to get 103 to at least bring one camera, which will allow for some of the presentations to be recorded, but still don’t have a definitive answer yet.

1 Like

Totally understand

What is parking like there? I would like to come but I don’t plan on taking the train.

It’s usually not hard at all to find free street parking near the Comcast building especially since it’s a Sunday.

Although Philly is one of the worst parking cities I’ve ever been to, there is a decent amount of street parking around, as @Mike_Marandola stated, and there is also a few parking decks within a few blocks that have reasonable prices.

Last year I parked in a deck 2 blocks away for $8 for the entire day.

I have some fantastic news!

Mr. Clem McKown (@Clem1640) has generously donated part of his go-pro collection (and also his Sunday morning and afternoon) to this event to help record as many of the presentations as we possibly can!

I’m not exactly sure when or where they will be uploaded, but when they are I will be sure to update this thread for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday!

4 Likes

@Cyberphil I likely won’t have a finalized team roster for which members are coming until Saturday. I do know the maximum number of people I will have and I’ve input all of the information I have for now into the roster sheet and registration form.

- Aidan, 5113

Only two days away from 272’s FRC Bootcamp, hosted by Comcast!

Here is the finalized schedule for this weekends presentations:

Schedule
Welcome 9:10-9:30 Bob Gaydos- COMCAST
Session Room LM Room A Room B Room K Room D
Session 1 - 9:40 - 10:30 Swerve Drive Sabotage 1640 Simple 2D CAD for early design Phil Szymanowski - 103 and 272 BOF - Team Sustainability Hannah Farrell - 433 Preparing your team for Judging Lynn O’Gara and Amy Gadaleta - 272 Mentor Discussion - Open topics
Session 2 - 10:40 - 11:30 Engineering Discussion John Cross - 272 et al… Getting Involved with FIRST Nikki Stout - FMA Volunteer BOF Programming Java/C++ OWLS- Developing a Safety Program BOF - Programming LabWiew
Lunch - 11:30 - 12:30
Session 3 - 12:40 - 1:30 Using Analytics in FRC Caleb Sykes - FRC Statistician Drivetrain Optimization Sean Lavery - 1712 Using Github for FRC teams- OWLS Advanced Parametric Modeling Phil Szymanowski - 103 and 272 Mentor Discussion - Open topics
Session 4 - 1:40 - 2:30 Ladies First Panel - 1807 Getting your robot ready for inspection Howard Cohen - FMA Inspector Utilizing the Mock Kickoff Preperation Hannah Farrell - 433 BOF - Media teams BOF - Scouting

Easier reading format can be found here:

1 Like

Thanks again to everyone who participated in this year’s FRC Bootcamp! It was a resounding success with over 160 attendees!

The videos have all been posted to a shared Google Drive folder that can be accessed from this link:

The presentations from past years can also be found here for anyone who is interested.

Again, I’d like to give an extra special shout-out to Mr. Clem McKown (@Clem1640) for dedicating his Sunday to managing 5 sets of cameras at this event.

2 Likes

Thanks for Comcast and 272 for running this event once again. I always enjoy presenting there and having an opportunity for my students to discuss and learn various engineering and FIRST-related topics.

In addition to Clem’s videos posted above, I have a screen capture of the current edition of my presentation available on the Dawgma YouTube channel for anyone interested:

3 Likes

A quick update, all videos have been posted to 272’s Youtube channel. You can find them all here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.