FRC Class of 2015 students?

Hey CD,
As the past few weeks have flown by and I’ve seen my senior teammates and a lot of my Facebook friends from other robotics teams end their high school careers, I’ve noticed that the majority of awesome kids I’ve met through FIRST will no longer be students next year. The senior class is often the leaders, drivers, and rock stars of FIRST that other students look up to. This leads me to want to know a little bit more about all of the other great students from my class that I haven’t yet gotten an opportunity to meet. So I figured any students reading this from the class of 2015 could answer a few questions so we can all get to know each other and create a great senior class next year.

Some questions I came up with:
What role are you going to have on your team during your final season as an FRC student?
What is the biggest thing you are looking forward to for your last season?
What are your plans beyond high school?

As for my answers:
I’m the team captain for 1058, the PVC Pirates, and I lead the CAD and design of the robot. I also run strategy and could possibly be a driver (we’ll see) this upcoming year. On top of that I have been one of our Chairman’s award presenters for the last two seasons.
The biggest thing I am looking forward to is having one more game to really lead designing a robot on. This past year was my first as a true designer so I can’t wait to do it again.
For after high school, my plan is to get a degree in mechanical engineering at a northeast college and then get a job as a robot designer.

So class of 2015, what’s your story? I can’t wait to share my last season with all of you!

P.S. Congrats to all of the graduating Seniors in FRC this year! There were so many great students from your class that I had the pleasure of meeting.

I have the great opportunity this year to be a co-captain of team 316. I also have the role of lead mechanical student.

The biggest thing I’ll definitely be looking forward to is getting to spend one last year with all the great people I’ve met through this program. (shout out to Justin, Conor, Billy, Christian, Maria, Zachk, and all of 316’s great mentors. Building robots can’t compare to being with you guys.)

I plan to major in mechanical engineering, and go into the manufacturing so I can design things with CAD

Hey!
I saw this post and thought it would be a great way to start interacting with the FIRST community more.

I’m on Team 4761, The Robockets. I’m going to lead the CAD and design of our robot and possibly take some higher up leadership role for the team (maybe a captain). We’re still figuring out how we want to organize the team since we’re still kinda new. I was also the coach for our drive team this year and hopefully will be next year too.

I’m definitely pumped to help get my team to grow and mature and spread its roots in both the local and FIRST community. I’ve been on my team since it started up two years ago so I really want to see it grow and become a permanent part of our school after I leave. I can’t wait to get more kids from school as pumped about robotics as I am and train them to be the next leaders of the team.

On top of that, I can’t wait to lead our team’s first real CAD team (this year we had maybe 2 kids including me CADing; next year we’ll have more like 6-7) I also am looking forward to just competing in yet another (and sadly our last) competition! I really want to make this the most productive, exciting, fun and overall the best season yet.

After high school, I plan on studying either mechanical or aerospace engineering. I’ve really been looking at going to RPI since I’ve had some friends who went there and liked it. As for after that, I would love to get a job somewhere like SpaceX. The stuff they’ve been working on has fascinated me and really got me interested in pursuing an Aerospace engineering degree.

Let’s make this the best season yet class of 2015 :cool:

Entering my senior season, I have accepted the CAD Lead role on TALON 540, though I am also directly involved with the design, financial, and strategy side of 540 as well. With the group of kids in my subgroup, I am extremely excited for the upcoming season.

I can’t wait for the year to begin and to start with another new challenge, but I also am excited for all the R&D projects, outreach efforts, and fundraisers to help 540 branch out into our community more. VA regional is always fun, and I recommend it for every team.

As for going past high school, Mechatronics engineering, a blend between mechanical and electrical engineering has sparked my interests. But I also enjoy systems engineering and statistics, so I still have a lot to decide. I am proud to be part of the FIRST Class of 2015 and I can’t wait for January!

First off, thanks for making this thread. This is a really cool way to get to know the other great people I’m going to be graduating with next year.

What’s my story…

This coming season, I’m proudly back as a president of Team 668 (one of two this year). I’ll have administrative responsibilities such as sponsor correspondence, organizing meetings, scheduling, developing the fall teaching plan/curriculum, and trying to keep everyone sane. As far as the build/competition side of things goes, I’ll likely be coordinating a large portion, if not most, of robot design while overseeing our new CAD/Design captain. In addition, I’ll probably be acting as strategic head and drive coach once more.

I can’t wait for one last build and competition season with all of the people and friends I’ve come to love, be they from my own team, or from others. FIRST is a lifetime community, but I can’t help but feel like there’s a certain magic to being a student that I’m going to try to savor as much as I can. In addition, we’ve been on a small, but steady, climb of progress for a while. I’m excited to see where our progress will take us. (A blue banner my final year would be pretty nice :smiley: )

As for my plans past high school, I’m trying really hard to get into MIT. Regardless of where I actually end up, I want to pursue degrees in mechanical engineering, materials science, and business. In the short term, I’d love to work as an engineer for a while, but I see myself teaching somewhere long in the future. Mentoring and volunteering will definitely happen as well.

Class of 2015 is an awesome group. It’s an honor to be part of it.

I have to say that in my 2 years of FRC so far, I have had the pleasure of leading a small, but capable media team (AKA me, myself, and that one kid that comes around everyday). We worked hard to provide the team with quality videos and photos, while also enjoying ourselves from day to day with the usual Dota 2 or Just Cause 2 break.
We only really reached our potential when we started volunteering for FIRST and really using our skills in a place that could use it for the community. I mean without us the highlight reels from the PNW wouldn’t have been a weekly thing.

I have to say that I have enjoyed the run for the past two years, but I think I’m going to step back and work on some personal projects to showcase my talents as a videographer, though the project may be FIRST related ;). I mean, I don’t want to spend all this money on gear and not get some back. But don’t think that I won’t be back at events doing Highlight Reels for the PNW in 2015. I hope to bring the bar up even higher for quality videos in FIRST.

I honestly am one of those I still don’t know what I’m going to do in college kids. I used FIRST to mess around and have fun, but learning was always in the video and photo fields, which are hard industries to get into. Maybe I will get a break somewhere along the line, but for now I’m really unsure.

Hello,

I am a member of Team 1325 Inverse Paradox from Mississauga, Canada.

My role on the last year of the team will be a programming mentor. As I am going into grade 12, we need to pass of skills to our younger students, so all of the grade 9, 10, and 11’s will do the programming while I look over it and maybe write some more complex autonomous routines as well as help out the younger programmers when they need it.

I am looking forward to seeing how our robot will function at competition next year, and meeting new people at competition. Even though our rookie season was in 2004, our team only really started to be competitive last year. Since then, our team has been able to build solid robots that only get better every year. I am very excited to see how our robot will perform next year, given that this is the first time we really have any “momentum”. Furthermore, competitions are always a great experience, and when I am not on the field, I always enjoy talking to and meeting new people.

As for my plans after graduation from high school, I am pretty much set on the Actuarial Sciences program at the University of Waterloo. It’s been something I have wanted to do since middle school, and I am really looking forward to it.

Hello, I’m a member of team 2085 out of Vacaville CA.

I’m the lead strategist for my team, the drive coach, and sit as the director off business for our board of directors. Although i love being part of business, over the past couple years I’ve found that i absolutely love strategy. Being coach is probably the most fun thing I’ve ever done.

I’m really hoping to be an alliance captain again! My team was the second seeded alliance captain at the Sacramento regional, and that was amazing. Being able to make strategies and represent the alliance as the captain was unforgettable. We also won two awesome engineering awards (massive credit to our engineering division, and jonny jee if he’s reading this), and it would be really cool to do that again!

After high school I plan to get a biology degree (maybe behavioral or bioinformatics), and then go teach in the peace corps for a couple years, and come back to the USA and teach. But wherever i end up teaching ill either join or start an FRC program.

Awesome thread!

I am a member of team D-Bug #3316 from Tel-Aviv, Israel.
I am the head of the team’s mechanical team, and also the drive team coach. This year will be my 3rd in FRC (6th in FIRST), and I pretty much had a chance to establish a team of rookies (in our first year), and win a regional competition for the first time in the team’s history (that was this year).
I hope that the next year we would be able to be back again to the champ, and hopefully be more competitive there. My goal is to be in the division eliminations at least, and hopefully even have a chance to get a visit to Einstein Field. High goals, I know, but we won’t succeed if we don’t dream big, and by now our dreams are paying off…
I also plan to establish our mechanical and CAD skills. My class takes the lead of everything by now, but the young guys are very talented and they have a chance to exceed each of our achievements in the coming years. Also, even we seniors-to-be still have a lot to learn. How odd is the fact that I’ve been in FRC for 2 years and I still haven’t used a mill or a lathe?
I don’t really know what I am going to do in the future, but I have a lot of time to think about it since we have to do at least 3 years of mandatory service in the army. I will probably do some engineering there…

Ahhh, this is such a cool thread idea Jay!

This is going to be my 4th year doing FRC and I am devastated that this is all coming to an end. I have looked up to older members on my since my very first year and it is so surreal to be a senior on the team!

As for my questions…
What role are you going to have on your team during your final season as an FRC student? I am going to be co-captain of my team again this year. I contribute to the ideas and fabrication of our robot but my main role is communications. I design t-shirts, sweatshirts, and buttons as well as run our website, twitter, etc. I am also in charge of doing our chairmans award this year and it’s going to be the first year my team is applying for it! I am very excited for this season not only because it is my last year and I want to go out with a bang but also because I am going to get to spend a lot of time working with novice members to “train them in” to take over when we leave.

What is the biggest thing you are looking forward to for your last season? Winning!! Haha, just kidding. The biggest thing I am looking forward to is going all out. During previous years I have always looked to older members for guidance but now its time for my class to shine. I am excited to contribute a lot to the robot and have a ton of fun collaborating with my team for the final team. I am also looking forward to competition and cheering on my team with every ounce of spirit I have.

What are your plans beyond high school? I have no idea. Maybe engineering, maybe communications, who knows!! My dream job is to help design future FIRST games but we will just have to wait and see. I will for sure do some traveling and definitely come back to work for FIRST or mentor teams.

FIRST robotics has changed my life in more ways then I ever imagined and I am so grateful to team 2531 for taking me on and helping me to grow. ILY FIRST!! Lets make this an awesome season guys, ROBOTICS 2K15!!

Hi there, Im going to be either the captain or co captain of my team next year and possibly a member of our design and strategy teams.

I am ecstatic to start next season and to continue the great momentum my team had this year. It was our rookie year and we were able to successfully win our first regional and win the rookie inspiration award at the same regional and make it to the semi finals in another regional. I am really hoping that we can be one of those teams that goes to St Louis every year just because i fell in love with the experience of FIRST and the championships. I cant wait to meet new people and to see what next year will bring.

As for my future, I hope to attend North Carolina State University and to either major in aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering and than maybe look into working for a company like NASA or Space X. Regardless of what i do, I know that i am going to be involved with FIRST after i graduate and i cant wait to see what the Class of 2015 is going to bring to next years experience and to our futures.

I’m a member of team 1675, The Ultimate Protection Squad, from Milwaukee WI.

Although my team shies away from titles, I’d say I’ve led the programming/controls subteam since 2013, and started leading electrical this year. I was an operator driver in 2013 and 2014 and hope to continue leading the electrical and programming subteams, as well as operating. I do hope to see younger people fill my role and take more of a backseat next year. I pretty much programmed all the manipulator code this year, and I’d like to see people rise to my place. I hope to learn the ins and outs of the new control system and teach those along with the cRio(for maintenence of old robots) to our younger students. Next year I hope to take on a more complex project(much of our code is pretty darn simple). I’m really looking forward to being able to relax at competition(read: help other teams) next year, knowing the younger kids have me covered.

As for future plans, I’m looking into engineering, but I’m also very interested in pure science; physics mostly(though I would like to make a little money anyway). As for types of engineering, I really don’t know. I like electrical and programming and stuff, so maybe computer, but I also am really good at seeing the big picture; how a system works. I may be interested in industrial/systems engineering. I’m also pretty good at and enjoy chemistry, so maybe chemical engineering. OOH, and Math is fun! So in short, something in STEM. I don’t know where I want to go to college yet, nor how long I wish to study. This summer, I’m going to look at schools on the coasts, and see what catches my fancy, although I really liked Purdue and Iowa State. I hope to mentor a struggling team after high school, somewhere my skills can be of great value.

I was looking through this thread and thinking, “that’s so cool… wait, what year am I graduating?” (hint: 2015.)

It’ll be my second and last year on my team, sadly, (my brother joined his junior year and amazingly so did I) and I feel I’m wholly capable to take on more responsibility. This year I kind of became site manager but came into a LOT of difficulty due to the fact I don’t have the most functional computer (most of my CD posts come from my phone or the iPad I had loaned from school), but thanks to the summer I’ll have the infinite patience I need to fix that. At our second regional I was put second in command of media (so basically I took video clips and photos from the stands) and helped piece together the Chairman’s video. Hopefully next year I get to do more of that. I also want to make sure to put someone in charge of the site in my leave and set up a new scouting system (we were using a GREAT app this year, but there was little to no stress on strategy, which was really necessary for this game).

For my last season, I’m excited to rewrite our award papers (and nominate people for Dean’s List!)! This year we made the mistake on only having a few kids write them, but this year I’m trying to get entire team input. And of course, collecting more buttons at regional events and getting to travel and hang out with the team (St. Louis, maybe…?). And of course, actually going to kickoff this year, since I was sick this time around.

My plans after high school are pretty vauge. I want to go to a college in the Minnesota-Wisconsin area that offers majors in language study (or something similar) and is also affordable.

tl;dr: next year im running our website, doing media, maybe making an app, im excited for award papers and a new game, and don’t know what the future holds.

This is a great idea.

For my senior year, I’m looking forward to possibly what could be a huge change in our team. Looking at moving the team to CAD and some different drivetrain designs, developing a well organized effort to train new students to come out swinging harder than ever in 2015, and some other changes in structure and PR sides of things.

But more what I’m looking forward to is witnessing the overall growth in our team. I came in as a freshman in 2012 for Rebound Rumble, and I was lucky enough to have witnessed a really great season, and it kept me hooked from all the excitement. I’'ll also have seen my own growth as an individual, where in 9th grade I was a fish relegated to deburring holes from time to time and being a scout who found it hard to voice opinions among the more experienced veteran members…to a completely life-changing experience of being chosen as the driver for the 2013 year.

2013 brought a year of struggles for both the team and myself. We were unable to make it to the finals of any of our three events (ironically being on the same alliance with 1477 at two of those regionals), and I felt as though I had let the team down. Driving has its downsides, it’s a big responsibility, though it is a lot of fun.

However, the 2014 season turned out to be the complete opposite. I drove again (to my surprise) and actually won the Alamo Regional (on an alliance with 118? My freshman year I would never have thought that…although I didn’t expect to be driver either). I made lots of new friends and had some of the most memorable experiences I’ve had in not just high school but my life up to this point.

2015 will only bring more excitement, and I can’t wait to see what comes of it. Whether it’s a rough or good year, I just have a feeling that it’ll be great, no matter what the outcome of the season is. Then college is gonna roll around, and I hope to be attending UT majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and minoring in something I have no idea yet, I have some interests that aren’t related to ME in any way (Film/Cinematography? Business? Foreign Language?). After college, I’ll be looking to mentor a team wherever I end up working, there’s no way I’m leaving FIRST anytime soon.

So yeah, kinda long but those are my reflections so far.

Hey guys!

I’m Dan Browne from Team 3467, The Windham Windup. I am going to be one of 3 seniors on our team next year as we have 9 graduating this year. I will be one of the mechanical leads next year. I will most likely get to do some CADDing and some electrical so I’m excited for all 3. I’m really looking forward to the design challenge next year and playing more matches with all the amazing NE FIRST teams. The GDC has been really good about making the challenges bigger and better every year. I plan to go to school for Robotics and Automation, get a job, and mentor as many FIRST kids as I can!

This thread is actually something I kind of find cool. lol
Anyways, Hi! Im Ali!
Next year my role i hope will stay the same as Chief Executive Officer of Rosie Robotics. I worked on chairmans and all award submissions along side my Chief operations officer. The two of us are the top two postitions on our business like team.
Going into my last year of FRC, i hope for the normal success of my team for I have been a part since i was little. I also hope any issue that we had this year doesnt happen for the next as in “learning from our mistakes”. I also hope to have fun because isnt that what FIRST is about?:slight_smile: Side note as an FLL Coach, I hope my team makes it to states for the third year in a row. Being coached by just FRC students makes it a bit different compared to teams coached by adults
As for after High School i plan to attend a four year college for Industrial or Systems Engineering. And also staying involved in FIRST.
:o

Like some others, I have the opportunity of being a co-captain on my team 2080 Torbotics. There are so many things that I would like to do, but may not have the time to. I also have the responsibility of being in charge of the drive-system this year. I’ll most likey be human player once competitions start next year. I hoping that our team can continue our chairmans run by winning for the third year in a row. I also hope our team can be a high seeded alliance captain and win a regional for the first time in our teams history. Hopefully we can do some different things now that its the offseason that will better prepare us for build season. i really want to have another good season. Overall, I would love to go to championships and see all the teams competing. It would be a great way to end my senior year on my team.

In my final year and fourth year on 2175 I will be one of the co-captains as well as our CAD and strategy/scouting lead. The thing I’m am most looking forward to is hopefully winning another regional so we can make another run at champs. Past highschool I plan on majoring in mechanical engineering and hopefully working somewhere to design and CAD stuff for a company.

As we enter our last year my role is to be one of 3 captains of my team 1985 Robohawks, and hopefully make my 3rd FRC drive team. I also want to help my team on our mentoring projects in the area and help us reach outside of FIRST.

The biggest thing I’m looking forward to going into my last year is Cow town Throw down in Kansas City. Its always been the “stress free” competition for me that lets me gather focus going into the real FRC season. Also I want to build a team closer team bond then what we already have. So that the next generations can have the family of 1985 that I had up until this point.

Out of high school my plans is to hopefully go to Missouri S & T and run cross country/ track for them.