FRC Deep Dive - 254 Cheesy Poofs - Inside Look/AMA - Giveaways

You only get one: corn dogs, mentor bacon or strategy brownies. Which do you pick?

5 Likes

How long would a pick list meeting be to pick between these options?

13 Likes

That’s so meta!

I have so many questions.

24 Likes

Just one question: Swerve?

3 Likes

Reading your build blogs, I am always surprised at how quickly many parts of your robot enter manufacturing+production, while a clear plan for more prototype-driven subsystems is often still weeks away. How do you plan ahead to ensure that the design and overall dimensions of “core” mechanisms like drivetrains and elevators don’t overly restrict your options with regards to design elements which are finalized much later in the process?

A specific example I’ll refer to: Your 2017 gear mechanism. It was very effective, and by my understanding, largely developed post-bag. It was also dramatically smaller than most other world-class gear systems, and severely space-constrained by your already-fabricated drivetrain and shooter. How did you determine that the geometric choices made in these mechanisms weren’t going to prevent you from figuring out a gear solution which could perform at the highest level?

11 Likes

How many hours does your driver practice before reigonals?
Can you talk about your build season schedule ? (When did you start to test your robot?)
Did you use previous years mechanism to build your 2018 or 2019 robot?(roller ,intake etc.)

1 Like

Dear 254,

How in the world did you get away with tiny drive train wheels in 2018 and 2019 without constantly getting stuck on the platforms?

Sincerely,
Jesse

11 Likes

Do you do field-relative positioning through non-linear state estimation?

10 Likes

NEOs next year?

1 Like

How does your team make important design decisions early on in the season? More interested in the process from prototyping all the way to the actual moment the team decides. Who makes those decisions? Is it a voting system? What happens when people disagree on the route the team should take? This is the part of the design process that I feel can make or break a team and I’m intrigued as to how you guys manage to make the right design decisions so consistently every year.

1 Like

How do you come to a consensus in strategy sessions when you have so many experienced mentors? How do you handle it when there are different ideas/opinions? Mostly, how do you always churn out good decisions with so many decision makers? (I wasn’t around 2767 for the 2017 run).

3 Likes

254’s 2019 robot has been described as a literal dumpster fire, and I was wondering what were the most difficult parts of developing Backlash? In addition besides Backlash which season had the most tortured build season?

How is 254 planning to adjust their team practices with the removal of the bag in the 2020 season (if at all)?

What’s your favorite meme video 254 has put out? (Personal favorite is the Tem 254 Teh Chezy Pofs 2014)

4 Likes

254 almost always makes robots that are perfect for the game(or at least have a base for the perfect robot to iterate later- 2019 for example), do you have a special method for analyzing the game or do you just go off of experience?

2 Likes

From when future drivers walk in the door to when they are driving on einstein, what is the process like to choose them and train them? I’m mostly interested in your off season drive practice system, and how you train against defense.

2 Likes

How do you take on teaching the students about advanced control subjects, such as non-linear feedback and the ramsete controller?

2 Likes

How do you plan your wire/tubes so well? I don’t see any tubes for the pistons on the wrist for Lockdown.

How do you guys build your bumpers? How do you mount them in particular? (Pins???)

1 Like

254 Bumpers

How did you machine and attach (looks like weld?) the linkages at the end of the arm? Also, are there any significant printed parts worth pointing out in detail?