FRC Deep Dive w/ 2767 Stryke Force (2x World Champion) - Ask Questions for a Giveaway - Details

FRC Deep Dive is back on Tuesday starting at 8:30pm eastern with a focus on FRC 2767 Stryke Force. This incredible team were 2017 & 2018 world champions and went down in the finals of Curie and IRI this season.

FRC Deep Dive unveils the processes and in some cases secrets to what leads to a powerhouse team being as successful as they are. Interviews with open AMA will take place in this hour long show.

2767 is providing some awesome swag pack giveaways including a shirt or hoodie, Sentinel Interface Board and other goodies! 2 will be provided during the live show and we will be giving one swag pack away to an individual who asks a question for FRC 2767 before 4:00pm eastern on Tuesday through here, our Discord or any of our social media channels.

Ask your questions here for a chance to win and watch the show live at https://www.twitch.tv/firstupdatesnow

Thank you to everyone who watched live last night. Lots of awesome questions from the audience and insight from 2767 on their incredible rise.

Here are the segments from last night on YouTube:

Behind the Bumpers FRC 2767 Stryke Force
How 2767 Stryke Force Functions
2767 Stryke Force FRC Deep Dive AMA Part 1
2767 Stryke Force FRC Deep Dive AMA Part 2
2019 FRC International Off Season Previews

9 Likes

Hey! I just wanted to say I love the show and Stryke Force as a team, I hear amazing things and your performance is outstanding. Keep up the work!

My question, well questions, is the creation of your World Championship robots. How do you come up with ideas? And prototyping? I see teams differ with prototyping and I’m very curious to hear about it! And finally how will the prototyping be affected by the end of Bag Day? Will you still have a due date for your build?

Sorry for the amount of questions! I hope you guys have a fantastic year next year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, we are excited about the show tonight!

Hoping to answer all of your questions and the questions from the discord channel.

4 Likes

It was a real pleasure playing with you at IRI this year. Looking forward to hearing more about your team.

We have quite a few questions received from our other channels. If you would like to ask 2767 a question and have a chance to win a 2767 swag pack. Please do so by 4pm eastern. Otherwise we will see you live tonight starting at 8:30pm eastern.

This is a great idea for a show. I can’t wait to watch tonight!

My question is what may have changed that took 2767 from good/average to great? They went from missing champs 5 straight years to 2x world champion in a pretty short time. It’d be interesting to learn the process of achieving that.

After reading 2767’s whitepaper on “Third Coast Swerve” I was wondering where the idea for the posi-traction spring in the module came from, if there were any other solutions to the same problem that were investigated, and why was the central spring method chosen above those (if any) options?

Thank you!

Hello,
I have a few questions regarding electrical best practices:

1. What process do you use to determine the layout and positioning of your electrical components on the robot? Is this done as an integral and fundamental part of the design process or in an ad-hoc manner?
  2. What tool do you use for the crimping of your battery and main-breaker connections? Do you use 6awg power cables or something smaller gauge/larger diameter?
  3. Do you use any special connectors for your CAN bus connections?
  4. Do you use any special techniques to retain your connections to the robo-rio? Hot glue, auxiliary boards with locking connectors, 3d printed retainers, etc?
  5. Ferrules or no-Ferrules for weidmuller connections?
  6. Any special tricks or processes for electrical quality assurance?
    I think that’s enough questions for now :smile:
    Thanks!

My question is about your swerve drive, how well did the 775pros work for you guys? Have you ever had to replace any due to burnouts?

Thanks everyone for the questions here and on discord. We have a ton to try to get to tonight so we’ll do our best. Be sure to tune in tonight to hear a lot of great stuff from 2767 and to win some swag packs from them! We also take live questions from the chat during the last segment of the show if you think of something you’d like to ask.

1 Like

We’re about to start! Come join us with 2767 at https://www.twitch.tv/firstupdatesnow

1. I think Cory covered this one. Big parts in the CAD, small parts stuck where they conveniently go.
  2. We use a BURNDY Y1MRTC Manual Ratcheting Crimper to crimp a Panduit LCA4-14-L connector on Stinger SPW14 series wire.
  3. We lap solder all CAN connection (no connectors) covered with heat shrink. Actually all wires are soldered unless there is a need to disconnect (i.e. remove for the 30lb. allowance).
  4. Connectors are retained in the roborio via hot glue used liberally.
  5. We didn’t use ferrules because they where too short and would pull out. I think there are longer ones out there and we would use them.
  6. I assume this is about the motor health check we do every time we can. This consist of running each motor forward and backward at a low voltage then a high voltage and recording speed and current draw. We then look for trends or step changes. This typically finds RS775 drive motor problems but has found encoders disconnected. You also see binding mechanisms, spinning (loose) drive pulleys etc.

This is refering to drive motors:

We prefer 775s over CIMs due to weight. We know how to manage them, (mainly through current limiting) to make them last which is more about being vigilant about locked rotor operation and heat build up. We treat them as a semi disposable and if they don’t show damage, we’ll run them without worries through districts. States and Worlds they may get changed out between Quals and Elims.

Thank you to everyone who watched live last night. Lots of awesome questions from the audience and insight from 2767 on their incredible rise.

Here are the segments from last night on YouTube:

Behind the Bumpers FRC 2767 Stryke Force
How 2767 Stryke Force Functions
2767 Stryke Force FRC Deep Dive AMA Part 1
2767 Stryke Force FRC Deep Dive AMA Part 2
2019 FRC International Off Season Previews

1 Like

Thank you for the information @Mark_Wasserman!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.